I HOOKED MY CHEEK! OUCH!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Chiwawamom

I HOOKED MY CHEEK! OUCH!

#1 Post by Chiwawamom »

Ok....last night while in the shower scrubbing my face. I was in the cheek region and managed to get the inside of my cheek HOOKED on the wire poking out of the back of my back bracket. I felt like a fish. I panicked! But eventually wiggled my jaw side to side to undo the hooked cheek. Has anyone ever had this happen? I definelty need to make a comfort apt and have this wire cut/ground down. :yikes:

skintz

#2 Post by skintz »

I get that sometimes when brushing my teeth-i get my cheek caught on the end of my wire. I just unhook it-it doesn't bother me too much, it doesn't happen normal in everyday life so i haven't asked to have it clipped....yet. Hehe :lol:

onedayperfect

#3 Post by onedayperfect »

ouch :shock:

oklanole

#4 Post by oklanole »

I got one better, I got my tongue caught around one of my brackets. I spent 20 minutes trying to untangle my tongue from the bracket. Talk about a bloody mess.

red indian

happened last night!

#5 Post by red indian »

The same thing happened as I was sleeping on my side last night. Half asleep i needed to wriggle the wire out of my cheek! Surprisingly it didnt hurt very badly- just badly!

Chiwawamom

#6 Post by Chiwawamom »

WOW!!!! So this isn't too uncommon. I will be calling tomorrow to set up and apt. I can't even image my tounge getting hooked. I did try to bend the arch wire with my finger and stabbed a whole in the tip of my finger....it a sharp one...

Chiwawamom

#7 Post by Chiwawamom »

ooops i mean HOLE in my finger.....ha ha ha I guess Im tired...

Supermax

#8 Post by Supermax »

The inside of my mouth looks like a war zone, it's all scars from wires cutting and poking, funny thing is even when it heals you can feel the scar. I also feel asleep on my cheek the one time and woke up with a 2 cm cut...wax is a life saver in these situations

Dovechild20

#9 Post by Dovechild20 »

Been there, done that, STILL doing that and bought the T-shirt, hat, and key ring to boot, lol.

Just have your ortho clip the wiring down some.

It sucks tho, im sorry your going through this too!

RahRahLuv

#10 Post by RahRahLuv »

What happens to me is the back upper bracket on the left side has a little hook on it, I guess for a band or something? I ALWAYS get it caught in my cheek, that sucks cause I am going to need a 2 year supply of wax since that cant be cut lol

loulou123

#11 Post by loulou123 »

ive never done that ouch, but my ortho did manage to stick the wire in my cheek at 1 adjustment so i can appreicate the pain.

another favourite of mine is to get my lip caught up under one of the hooks for the elastics-its a great look!

but my all time favourite moment has to be shortly after being braced and i was taking off a wooly jumper and somehow managed to get the bracket caught in the wool- :shock: i can laugh now but at the time i thought id have to wait for my boyfriend to come home and untangle me! lol :lol:

Louise

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

http://adultwithbraces.blogspot.com/

RahRahLuv

Thank you KK!!!

#12 Post by RahRahLuv »

I go in a few weeks, I will for sure ask that it be bent a lil :idea:

Chiwawamom

#13 Post by Chiwawamom »

I have an apt tomorrow to get it clipped/ground down.....My ortho is squeezing me in as they close at 530p cuz they don't want me to go too long with this annoying wire...I thought that was pretty nice. If I even run my tounge by it......the wire catches my tounge....its a nasty wire. I have been putting wax on it once in a while but I can stand having wax in when I eat..it grosses me out for some reason.

wired after 50

#14 Post by wired after 50 »

:soremouth: I caught the inside of my mouth with the wire today and felt like I had a fish hook in my cheek. It took what seemd like at least a minute to get it loose. My face was red and I was almost in tears. This was at work in front of a co-worker. Man did it ever hurt.

This had happened before but just a quick pull nothing like what happened today so I had asked the girl at my ortho yesterday when they were adding the back brackets and putting on a new wire if it was the wire and she said no it was the bracket. I am not sure but I leave for New York tomorrow for 5 days so I will be taking lots of wax.

I think I should have waited until after the trip for my first adjustment. It hurts to eat but I am doing it... I have read about eating right. But we have to have a business breakfast Thursday morning and I might just be drinking coffee.

Sometime I think I am too old for this... :roll:

Susan