Ouch =(....

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

LilRedPitViper

Ouch =(....

#1 Post by LilRedPitViper »

I'm having trouble with just one tooth the past few days. I'm not sure why it started hurting over the past day or two. Mainly when I bite down or something like that.

I've done the salt water rinses, and tried chewing on that particular tooth for a bit... but nothing seems to help. Ibuprofen takes the edge off, but it's something I'm not able to take frequently.

I'm hoping that it's an indication of movement... and I'll be calling the ortho tomorrow.

In the meantime, is there anything anyone could recommend that might help?

I'm very sorry to complain, but this is the first time I've actually had a real pain with my braces.

Tin Indian

#2 Post by Tin Indian »

LRPV- Don't worry about the crabbin, we all do it from time to time.
What I tried was a small tube of numbsit from Walmart in the dental section. You just put a small dab on the affected area on it becomes numb for a while. Feels wierd but it beats the pounding pain.
T.I.
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08

tommyfive

#3 Post by tommyfive »

I am amazed at how much movement is needed to align my mostly-straight (or so I thought) teeth. I think these archwires are actually pulling my teeth out - spreading them out - before the work to pull them into the places they will end up in.

Almost all my teeth have ached from time to time since I've had the braces on, but the most uncomfortable (not painful, mind you) have been the teeth they've been rotating. After they put a steel tie on a few teeth to 'engage' them (get the wire to really tug on the tooth harder than the plastic ligs will), there seems to be a two week window during which any pressure on those teeth almost hurts.

I find that I either have to chew through it (so far it never gets worse than the 'fear of pain' level), or ibuprofen usually takes enough of the edge off.

Using ibuprofen, I take two about an hour before eating anything 'challenging' and all is ok.

Nevertheless, bananas and avaocados are my friends...

T
-tommy
top arch braced 3/21/07
new wire on top 4/19
bottom arch braced 4/19
buccal tube lost on 5/4, replaced on 5/5
new bottom wire on 6/26 (I think)
top & bottom chains (round 1) installed on 7/24 (ouch)

LilRedPitViper

#4 Post by LilRedPitViper »

Awwe, thanks everyone. Like I said, I don't like to complain about this stuff... I've wanted braces for such a long time, I don't feel like I should be complaining about the process. I asked for it.

I like the way Tommy put it... I think it's the fear of pain that's actually worse for me.

The tooth is still a little sore today, I've been drinking lots of water and getting extra rest when I can. I do think it's helping.

Thanks again!! :D

EmmyD

Me Too

#5 Post by EmmyD »

I have had my braces on for 22 days and I have two teeth that have just started hurting a little. They both keep popping. I guess they are moving, so I am trying not to complain too much, but it does hurt and the Ibuprofen does not always make the pain go away. I guess we both have a long way to go. Good luck to you....... :lol: and me

kirjax

#6 Post by kirjax »

I rarely have experienced pain however there are times where some teeth ache more then others and this is very common. It just depends on what's moving at that point.

For me they're trying to move a tooth forward therefore alot of my teeth are being shifted to the right. Meaning my left side has felt NOTHING but my right side has felt EVERYTHING! I kind of feel sorry for my left side who has to do all the extra chewing :lol:

Sentenced: 20-24 months
Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!