4 days Oww!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Pejaysea

4 days Oww!

#1 Post by Pejaysea »

Hi friends,

I have visited this board a few times prior to getting my new braces on and a couple of times since. Like many of you, I have some history as to how I arrived at the decision to get orthodontic treatment but for tonight, I have an immediate concern that I'd like to ask about.

The installation process (is that the right expression??) went reasonably well. I have top braces on for starters along with brackets on my rear molars. The problem is that there are several SHARP edges on the brackets that are on the molars. How sharp? Sharp enough to cut my tongue and actually puncture my fingertip when I feel around it. When the braces were put on, the tech encouraged me to "tough it out" and use the wax sparingly. Gosh, I must be a whimp! I can only describe what I feel as akin to a piece of broken glass rubbing against my tongue and cheeks when I try to chew. My tongue and cheeks are getting swollen and this is of course making matters worse. So, I am NOT "toughing it out" (what a whimp at age 53!)! The wax is a savior. Frankly, this is far more uncomfortable than I anticipated. The front brackets with the wire running through them feel weird but no complaints from me.

My daughter, who has had her braces off for a few years says this doesn't sound right to her but sometimes time dulls memory. I have decided to call my orthodontist and try to have them look me over tomorrow but I also welcome any comments from fellow braces wearers (hmmm probably not the right terminology).

Thanks very much for any comments anyone can contribute.

Pete

Pejaysea

#2 Post by Pejaysea »

Meryaten, Thanks for the quick reply and reassurance. I ended up back in the orthodontist's chair this morning. I need to ask more questions but from what I can tell, the wires were clipped on both sides and the cleats were maybe pushed down a bit. Also, he did some grinding and I believe he removed a hook or two. He said if we needed them in the future he could reband those teeth.

This evening, I am happy to say that things in my mouth have calmed down immensly. I am feeling much better and am breathing easier. After spending some time reading the posts here, I am sure this will be a long and not always smooth road. But having gotten through this first mini-crisis, I feel more confident than I did just 24 hours ago.

Thanks again.

Pete

Lorien

#3 Post by Lorien »

I'm glad it's improved!

My cheeks got so badly gouged and infected that I eventually had to give up on the wax and live with cotton stuffing my cheeks until they could heal.

If you have more trouble, I do recommend rolling half of a cotton pad and putting it in the trouble spots when you sleep at night.

Nancy51

#4 Post by Nancy51 »

Same problem, here, the first 48 hours. I used the over-the-counter oral sealant/patch for instant and permanent relief--in that spot. Then I'd catch another spot and use more sealant, until suddenly the problem stopped. I read later on ArchWired that the mouth would "get used to the rubbing", and that seems to have been true.

Now that your braces' pokier parts are fixed, maybe the sealant will do for any ordinary nicks.

Hope it goes well,

Nancy

bracieb

#5 Post by bracieb »

ooooowwww, I can relate! I have a wire thingy in the bottom arch, on the inside. When I first got my molar bands, the little tubes for attaching that thing on the inside part of the molar bands were like tiny little razors making mincemeat of my tongue. OUCH!! I lived for wax. I went through TONS of it. It was that only thing that gave me relief, until they actually installed the wire, and now the wire covers the tube edges and it doesn't hurt. It was a long three weeks or so of wax and more wax. I put wax on the inside and outside of each of the 4 molar bands (bottom and top). I had to replace the wax each time I ate or brushed.

Glad you got some adjustments made- good for you!

Pejaysea

#6 Post by Pejaysea »

I am happy to report an update. Last Friday, I called the Orthodondist's office because the inside of the bracket farthest back on the lower left was like a ripped tin can! They were closed. So, I piled on wax through the weekend and got in there Monday afternoon. They used a regular dental handpiece with a drill and ground off the sharp edge that was left over from the last grinding. Whew! Smoooth! So, there are still bumpy issues annoying me and my cheeks and tongue, but I can cope. I use a little wax occasionally when I am eating but otherwise, it is okay.

I was looking over my treatment plan after being on here. I am scheduled for "mini-implants" in a month or so (what a delightful procedure to describe to your mom!!!) and 24 months or so overall. Surgery is a possibility but they tell me we'll see what the results are with the braces before embarking on that Journey.

I ordered a Waterpic on Amazon and it arrived two days ago. Pretty slick device for washing all those particles that the toothbrush and rinsing misses.

Thanks again for your support and friendship.

Pete