New here, and have a problem. :)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

*BidiBidiBomBom*

New here, and have a problem. :)

#1 Post by *BidiBidiBomBom* »

Hi, I just joined this forum today...but I have a problem.

Okay, I have had my braces on for like a year and about 6 months....and I always get sores in my mouth! I could be fine for like a month, sore free, then..(especially before I have a dentist appointment), I get all these canker sores in my mouth..and they are PAINFUL. :( I hate it so much. Like, I have two in my mouth right now. But, there is one place in my mouth that is sore right above my tooth in my gums(upper teeth)...feels kind of like something got stuck in there or something. I keep on thinking it is a piece of food or whatever..but it isn't..it is just so uncomfortable. It makes it even harder to brush my teeth right without some pain in my mouth. :o Anybody else have these kind of problems. It just started THIS week, and I have a dentist appt. on Wednesday! :shock: I hope this wasn't too confusing..lol. It is hard to explain verbally... :? Thanks for any help!! :)

gingerprince

#2 Post by gingerprince »

Hi, not sure about your current problem, but I have trouble with canker sores (we call them mouth ulsers over here!). From reading on here, daily salt water rinses are supposed to work great for keeping your mouth sore free. I've only started those for about a week now, so time will tell...

Personally, I get great relief by using the wax, putting a blob on top of the bracket, at the point of contact with the sore.

Good luck!

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

Staying hydrated is one of the best things you can do to avoid getting sores in the first place. Drink loads of water - more than you think you'll need.
If you do get a sore, rinse a few times a day with warm salt water or peroxide, and if it's being aggravated by any part of the brace rubbing you, use wax over the sharp bits till it's healed up.

goldmetal

canker sores

#4 Post by goldmetal »

I had trouble with canker sores when I first got my braces on. I was using Crest Pro-Health mouthwash. I believe the mouthwash started my problems with the sores. My ortho also prescribed a mouth rinse that cleared me right up. I now rinse twice a day with peroxide, and I haven't had any trouble since. :)
Braces on 12/19/06
Treatment time: 24 months

Sherri

#5 Post by Sherri »

Keep an eye on you tooth paste. I used to get a ton until I switched from all the whitening tooth pastes. There is something called I think sodium laurel sulphate in many that really give my family canker sores. I just use arm and hammer whitening, but if I use the triple whitening i get a ton of sores. Its really hard I can't use colgate or crest. This never used to happen to us. They mess around with everything and make it worse!

*BidiBidiBomBom*

#6 Post by *BidiBidiBomBom* »

Thanks so much for your help everyone! I am glad I am not the only one who encounters canker sores. They always seem to "appear" right before I have a dentist appointment..which is odd... :?, but maybe it is stress? I have terrible dentist anxiety..lol. :lol:
But what worries me the most..is this one sore spot..like I said previously above in my first post...that feels like something is poking me. Something sharp..it's only been going on these past couple of days. :roll: *sighs* It never ends...lol. Feels like something is stuck up there.