I'm moving

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BraceUrself

I'm moving

#1 Post by BraceUrself »

in January of next yr & my treatment is not done yet- My ortho told me he will try to get me as close to being done as he can but it is very likely that I will have to transfer orthos & deal with all of that-UGH! Is it hard to do this?
What happens really? I asked my ortho & he said everyone is different so he can't say for sure-I heard a horror story from the asst that I will have to have them removed & replaced & go from there- :cry: Is this true & what costs are involved with transferring orthos?? TIA everyone-Keep smiling & Have a wonderful day :wink:
Spacers-9-19-05
Top Braced-10-03-05
lowers on-10-17-05
appliance installed in mouth 10-17-05
2 extractions on 8-3-06
2 years treatment time

Dr says I won't finish on time

BraceUrself

#2 Post by BraceUrself »

please,somebody, anybody?? :D
Spacers-9-19-05
Top Braced-10-03-05
lowers on-10-17-05
2 extractions on 8-3-06
2 years treatment time

sophielafille

#3 Post by sophielafille »

This happened to me and I was freaked out too, but don't worry, it was VERY easy and my ortho said they do it all the time. I told them where I was moving, and they found 2 people they recommended. I called one and talked to him and explained the situation. He agreed to do my treatment so I told my original ortho. The original ortho did a sort of final visit where they took x-rays and wrote a report, and then sent all of my information to the new guy. I had paid for my treatment in full at the beginning, so he estimated how much work had been done and how much time was left, and refunded me the money that he hadn't used. The new guy charged me on a monthly basis as soon as I started treatment and then a $350 retainer fee when he was done. And listen, I am a tough case because I had periodontal problems and alot of bone loss And I was moving to post katrina New Orleans, and even with all that it was a very simple process. For a normal braces wearer, I wouldn't even worry. There was no discussion about rebanding or anything like that. It should be Very easy, no problems!

-sophie
Braces on November 16, 2005: Ceramic Uppers, Metal Lowers
Frenectomy done on December 5, 2005
4 extractions done on December 10
TPA installed Jan 16, 2006
Elastic Triangles started June 8, 2006
BRACES OFF!!!!!!!!!! July 17, 2007
now wearing two removable retainers. Yeah!!!!

bracedintx

#4 Post by bracedintx »

I moved after being braced for a year--clear across the country. My first ortho looked up practices in my new city and made a recommendation. I was paying him on a monthly basis so did not have to pay anything more when I left. I checked out a couple of orthos here since the one recommended was retiring.
There was a bit of difficulty with my old ortho sending records because he was waiting for confirmation from me--so you may want to make sure you stay in contact with your current ortho to make sure everything transfers smoothly.
Though my new doc was not using my type of bracket, he was about to start with a similar type so he was excited to see my braces. The time frame has taken a bit longer than my original quote, but I really have no complaints.

I know it's stressful but as long as you do a bit of research and planning you'll do fine :D
self-ligating metal brackets all around

BraceUrself

#5 Post by BraceUrself »

thank you for the replies everyone-I am open to other stories or experiences also-TIA
Spacers-9-19-05
Top Braced-10-03-05
lowers on-10-17-05
2 extractions on 8-3-06
2 years treatment time

Dovechild20

#6 Post by Dovechild20 »

I am moving clear across the country as well in two weeks. I actually just left my last ortho appt with this ortho a few minutes ago.

He's sad to see me go but he had my records in a packet, pics and all for me to take when i find a new ortho.

Basically, ive already scoped a few ortho's in the new area i want to visit and then i will choose from there. Hopefully it wont be difficult to transfer my treatment (and maybe they will even shave off some time on my treatment).

BraceUrself

#7 Post by BraceUrself »

Well, I am going to the New Ortho tomorrow so wish me luck-I have now been in braces for 2 yrs & 4 months!
Spacers-9-19-05
Top Braced-10-03-05
lowers on-10-17-05
2 extractions on 8-3-06
2 years treatment time

mariahfromchicago

#8 Post by mariahfromchicago »

I moved from Texas to Florida. I have an ortho consult at the new one in a few weeks???? I don't know. :?
- mariah