I've become a brushing fool!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

fangface

I've become a brushing fool!!

#1 Post by fangface »

Yep.

I used to brush twice a day- and sometimes I'd even forget at night..

But now after getting these things on- I'm following directions like they said and brushing EACH and every time I eat something.
Plus I don't want those ugly white marks on my teeth either like I see in the handouts they gave me so I do all this plus I bought the $13.00 phosphur rinse stuff that is WAY to sweet BTW..

You should see all the crap in my purse I bought to clean up after eating..
All these doo-hicky's to remove whatever or clean as much as I can if I don't have access to a nice bathroom to brush.

I'm seriously hoping I can maintain this throughout my duration of wearing braces- and since I payed for them myself I think I will.

Has anyone started out being a brushing freak only to die down later and not do it so much??

:(

I'm *really* gonna try and be good though.

HeadgearJoe

#2 Post by HeadgearJoe »

my min is three times a day , an i've been in mine forever, an i brush brush brush, i like going to my dentist every six months to get cleaned an them saying, i'm doing a great job an to keep it up ,
braces off 1/31/08 wearing bonded retainers with a nightsplint, will get removable hawleys 2/21/08

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

I don't brush everytime I eat, but I try and restrict my eating mostly to mealtimes. I do a really thorough clean at night including flossing, interdental and mouthwash.

I brush in the mornings too, but apart from that I don't usually brush during the day unless I've been eating chocolate or sweets. I just rinse with water after eating to dislodge any solid particles lodged round the brackets. My hygienist said I was doing a good job though, so I guess what I'm doing must be OK.

If you don't like the phosflur rinse, any fluoride mouthwash will do. $13 sounds a bit on the pricey side :?

Milk n Cereal

#4 Post by Milk n Cereal »

:lol: I have become quite the brushing addict myself, and my braces aren't even on yet! I have spacers in at the moment which cause enough discomfort to remind me that I'll have braces on soon - and extra brushing will be necessary then!

I brush after every time I eat. Which in turn makes me eat less because sometimes I'm too lazy to want to brush and floss just for eating a snack. :roll: So in the end braces = straight teeth, better self esteem, AND weight loss!

:jokerlaugh:

Rainy

#5 Post by Rainy »

Wll I have become an addict too I guess, and I dont get my braces on for 2 more weeks. I am the type to need certain routines or I let things go. I figured if I started the routines when I made the descion to get braces, I would have less problem sticking to it. Today I started adding in the salt water rinses.
What I have discovered now is that I a) feel guilty if I dont do the "proper" cleanings and b) I cant stand the feel of my teeth if I dont

Over all not a bad place to be I think.

Rainy

Naranja

#6 Post by Naranja »

I've been braced almost 5 months, and I brush my teeth 2 or 3 times a day, depending in how busy I am. In the morning, after lunch and night.
Sometimes after snacks, if my teeth are all sticky. If don't only swoosh with water until it feels right.

I have to confess that at first.. I was maniatic about brushing my teeth with braces. (I spent more time brushing my teeth that actually eating)

Taylor

#7 Post by Taylor »

I was like this too. I know it feels super-disgusting to have crap stuck in your archwires and brackets, or feeling like theres something there. Mine went away after a couple of weeks. I think having ceramic brackets made it a little worse too, because I DID NOT want to be the one with the yellow brackets (ew). Don't worry you'll have 'normal' brushing habits after a while.

About me:
Sentenced: 18-21 months (not to bad, eh?)
Problems: Gaps in between four front, lower teeth going too far up when I bit down, one front tooth slightly ahead of the other
Type: First six on top ceramic, rest are metal, powerchains (uggh)