grrrrr... frustrating!!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

metaljen

grrrrr... frustrating!!!

#1 Post by metaljen »

Okay, does anyone else have issues with their arch wire always popping out of the same bracket? My arch wire comes out of the bracket on the very back molar on my right lower side... grrrr. And for some reason it always happens on a weekend! I guess I should be greatful its not the bracket that comes off every time.... I have Damon brackets and have been trying so hard to place it back myself, but I just can't get it! Oh well... Does anyone else experience this?
One more question...I expected at least some SLIGHT discomfort after an arch wire change, but I felt nothing, no pain, no discomfort, I left my appt. and ate as normal without anything... is that normal? I understand the idea that I'm supposed to experience less discomfort just for the simple fact that I have Damon's, but nothing at all? Trust me, I'm glad, I just wondered if anyone else also experiences nothing after a new archwire is placed...? :) You read so many comments on here about pain after adjustments, I was just wondering if there were just as many people who don't have pain afterwards...

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

Hi Jen
I've only had an archwire come out once, near the beginning of my treatment, but I was able to get it back in myself. I wonder if perhaps your archwire is tending to "drift" so that that end is too short to stay in the bracket? Or do you have a big gap there, and are pulling it out by biting down on a long length of exposed wire?
Hopefully once you progress to stiffer wires you won't keep getting this problem. If it's due to the wire "drifting", your ortho might be able to put a stopper on the wire to stop it moving.

With regards to pain after adjustments, it sounds like you're one of the lucky ones :D

metaljen

#3 Post by metaljen »

Lisa-thanks for the response.... I hate to say it but I'm so ready to whack myself over the head! That SOOO explains why that wire always "drifts" out. No, there's not space between that molar and the molar in front of it, but there is a significant about of space between the two brackets... and this arch wire is pretty flimsy... I recall the ortho saying I was going from a .3 to a .4??? I'm going to see if hubby can fix it for me. Thanks so much for having common sense! LOL Duh, I still feel like a dork for not figuring that out! :P

Lisa65

#4 Post by Lisa65 »

Glad to help :wink: I just thought of a possible fix to stop it happening again? When I was in thin wires to begin with and my teeth were moving into place quickly, the bit of wire sticking out of the back of the bracket gradually got longer, but my ortho bent it round the back of my tooth so that it wouldn't poke me and need trimming every week.

Perhaps next time you go, you could ask your ortho to bend the end of the wire inwards. The bend might stop it pulling out all the time.

It's definitely not worth whacking yourself over the head for. :lol:

metaljen

#5 Post by metaljen »

Thanks everyone, for replying! My hubby was able to fix it without too much difficulty.
Here's a pic:
The arch wire comes out of the back molar, which on the pic is on the left side. If you look carefully, you can see that the last molar sticks out (laterally) more than the rest of my molars in the arch.... So with the bracket in the middle of that tooth and the other bracket in the middle of the molar in front of it, yeah, there is a good bit of space for that wire to do crazy things! (I chose this pic of my "before" from the doc because I don't have any more recent pics of my molars that are clear or easy to see)
Lisa-I totally agree with you about bending the wire around, I will definetly request that next time, depending on the wire I get.
Meryaten- I agree, I'm sure stiffer wires would make a difference.
Thanks everyone!

Sherri

#6 Post by Sherri »

My arch wire popped constantly during the beginning of treatment when I had large extraction gaps. Now that they have closed more it never really happens. They can do something to wire the archwire so that it doesn't happen if it is caused by extraction gaps.