Change of face shape noticeable or not?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

danz23

Change of face shape noticeable or not?

#1 Post by danz23 »

I keep noticing in pics how long and narrow my face is and I have issues with the way I look partly because of this (not to mention my crooked/crowded teeth!). I'm just wondering how much of an impact orthodontics has on face shape? I know it'd vary depending on the case, but was just interested to here what you guys have to say about this. I am currently wearing an expander and am not having any extractions as far as I know before I get braces. Thanks :)
Treatment by a Cosmetic Dentist:
1/3/07-22/11/07: removable appliances
22/11/07-10/2/09: Innovation C on uppers
8/1?/08-10/2/09: Innovation R on lowers
Ortho:
25/2/09-29/8/11: Clarity brackets

bracedintx

#2 Post by bracedintx »

Hi Danz23

I have a very narrow face too. I was starting to wonder if my jaw looked wider. The other day I had sent a new picture of myself to my mother (who lives in a different country). She told me that she felt my jaw looked much wider than before--an unsolicited comment :)
I still look like me, it's just a subtle change that I definitely like :)

btw, I have had no surgery, expanders or extractions...just good old-fashioned braces (with powerchains and elastics from time to time). I've been in braces for almost 2 years.
self-ligating metal brackets all around

joney

#3 Post by joney »

I think this has been debated here before.

My face still looks the same but my teeth look 100 times better.
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

Pepper

#4 Post by Pepper »

The shape of my face has never changed.

lelerz

#5 Post by lelerz »

The shape itself didn't change, but I definitely do look different because my smile is no longer crooked/misaligned. So facial expression-wise, yes.

platinum

#6 Post by platinum »

I have round face, and now it is getting longer. My bite has been opened by extruding teeth. So my teeth are longer and causing thin face. My friend commented that I am so skinny. Well, I am not thin, on the chubby side actually.

lionfish

#7 Post by lionfish »

I've had a couple of friends comment that my face has changed, but quite frankly I don't notice anything different about it. But like joney says, my teeth look 100 times better than they used to.

fx4

#8 Post by fx4 »

I know my face has certainly changed since I got my braces last monday! Now I walk around with my lips pulled into the biggest smile imaginable so that my poor raw lips don't touch the metal. AAAAARG are the ever sore!!

Nancy51

#9 Post by Nancy51 »

My ortho mentioned in passing that the procedure would change the shape of my face. I did not ask how, but I assume that my face would widen, because my arch will be rounder. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but I suppose I could get a jazzy, new hairdo for distraction if I don't like my end-result face shape! Good excuse, anyway. :)
Nancy

RakudaErin

#10 Post by RakudaErin »

I have to have surgery AND braces, so I'm kind of stuck with a shape-change. Which is a bit of a pity, as I quite like my face...

Genie

#11 Post by Genie »

I noticed that my cheekbone had sunk in ever since I wore braces. My friend's cheekbones also sank in while she was wearing hers but her face goes back to her normal chubby look after she took it off. I was sad because my boyfriend, friends and family have been commenting that I look thin and unhealthy and I should eat more. I eat as normal but the "sallow" look just don't go away! I guess it'll have to be like this for the 2 years that I'll b e wearing them! :cry:
19th May 2007- Two right premolars extracted
26th May 2007- Two left premolars extracted and spacers in
2nd June 2007- Upper arch braced
5th July 2007- Lower arch braced
I have all metal conventional brackets
Looking forward to straight teeth and nice smile

ghostmyimag3

#12 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

My face has thinned but i've lost 15 lbs in 9 months. I think that is the reason my face looks thinner.
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

overseasmel

#13 Post by overseasmel »

My face shape has definitely changed, but I had surgery (SARPE/SARME) as well, so that was a big factor. It takes a while to get used to your "new face" but you do- and having an awesome smile for me makes it totally worth it.

Good luck :)

Braced 20 Nov 06. Sentenced to 18-30 months. Released 23 Feb 09 (27 months and 3 days).
Uppers: 3M Clarity Ceramic. Lowers: Damon 3MX.
SARPE 21 April 06 and 7.5 months in expander (on for 2 weeks before surgery), turning to a width of 14.5mm.

SnowSara

#14 Post by SnowSara »

My face looks thinner and my cheekbones more pronounced, but I've also lost a little weight, so I think it's a bit of both. I'm also just getting a bit older and am losing that chubby cheeked face of my youth!

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

danz23

#15 Post by danz23 »

Hmmm, interesting. I'm guessing (and hoping) narrowing would be partly a result of having had extractions, cause it seems like a lot of people on here have had teeth out? So maybe this wont happen to me seeing as I'm not having extractions.
Treatment by a Cosmetic Dentist:
1/3/07-22/11/07: removable appliances
22/11/07-10/2/09: Innovation C on uppers
8/1?/08-10/2/09: Innovation R on lowers
Ortho:
25/2/09-29/8/11: Clarity brackets