How do they take off molar bands and such?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pilotgurl

How do they take off molar bands and such?

#1 Post by pilotgurl »

How do they take off your molar bands, i mean wouldn't that hurt it they just try to wiggle it off? Also what about when you have the silver caps on your molars from a applaince? Just wondering. :?:

smile2006

#2 Post by smile2006 »

Same here, they just wiggled the bands loose and pulled them off. I was prepared for something worse....the bands were easy compared to getting my ceramic brackets off. I had a hard time with them!!!!

Danielle

#3 Post by Danielle »

My Ortho and her assistants must have missed that day of school where the discussed "just wiggling off." Mine had to be yanked out when they were changed. For a second there I thought for sure my molar was going to come with the band. At various times within the last couple of months I've had several removed and put back on... only one band ever came off without too much effort/pain.

I always thought they rubbed a little glue remover stuff over them and they come off like that... when I mentioned that to the assistant she just kind of laughed and said "No, but that would be nice."
Metal Braces: August 18, 2006-January 14, 2009
Essix-type Retainers: January 14, 2009--present

ghostmyimag3

#4 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

Im actually glad this was brought up. I get these things off in 5 1/2 months and that is my fear. I hope mine wiggle off ha ha
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

Jillianleab

#5 Post by Jillianleab »

The asst who de-braced me was pretty new, so she asked for help when it came to my molar bands. I got a lesson in how they are removed! :)

They grab the inside cleat and twist, which breaks the glue on that side. Then they do the same to the outside bracket, and then wiggle the whole thing off. Apparently if they pop all the other brackets off, then pull the molar bands off, the enture arch can be removed as one since piece.

To me, it didn't hurt a bit, but the glue was really gross flaking around in my mouth. Couldn't wait to rise!
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806