Need highly caffeinated am beverage that won't stain ligs!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

wirednkc

Need highly caffeinated am beverage that won't stain ligs!

#1 Post by wirednkc »

I need and want my caffeine but decided to give up coffee because I got tired of the stained ligs. If anyone has a suggestion, I would love to hear it. I don't like soda in the morning. Is iced coffee through a straw a good choice? I figure it will, for the most part, bypass the front teeth! TIA!

TeresaTX

#2 Post by TeresaTX »

I have clear powerchains and drink coffee out of a cup everyday...no problem, I make sure to swish with water right after I'm done but no issue with staining and its been almost 2 years.

Red wine and curry is a different story entirely!

cally

#3 Post by cally »

Mountain Dew...but it's loaded with sugar. Just go for the coffee and use dark ligs! I've not noticed a problem with mine.

PoliGirl

#4 Post by PoliGirl »

I've got clear ligs and drink about a cup of coffee a day (with milk). I haven't noticed staining due to coffee. Curries, tomato sauces, wine, etc are much more of a problem.

TheUnk311

#5 Post by TheUnk311 »

Mountain Dew...but it's loaded with sugar. Just go for the coffee and use dark ligs! I've not noticed a problem with mine.
Yeah, I just went with Smokey ligs as they don't tend to stain.

Question though.. What if the surface of your teeth stain ever so slightly from the coffee and then when you get debraced, won't the spots behind the brackets be whiter?

I don't think I drink enough to worry about it (1-2 cups a week), I hope!

wirednkc

#6 Post by wirednkc »

thanks for the pointers! For some reason, mine stain so bad from coffee. Even though it's just the ligs, I can't stand that brown look! I just had my 6 month cleaning and my first adjustment the next day. My teeth look so good right now, I don't want to mess with that! I'll see what happens if I drink coffee through a straw, or maybe Diet Mountain Dew, if I can get used to soda in the morning.

When we stayed with friends, they grind their coffee beans, and I think that made it way worse! After a week with them, my ligs were literally black! It was disgusting! I had the smoky ligs on at the time. Now a have pearl, so hopefully that will help! Thanks again!

SandraJones

#7 Post by SandraJones »

Soda is really bad for your teeth because of its sugar content and acidic pH. It can cause demineralization which can result in permanent white patches on your teeth. You'd be better off staying away from soda completely.

Do a 'net search using various combos of the words demineralization, white patches, soda, teeth, and you'll find all sorts of good info.
Nov 1960: born
1973 ?: palate expander
1973-1977: braces
Aug 1981: Le Fort I, posterior impaction to correct anterior open bite and class II malocclusion
Aug 2007: braces again to correct various alignment issues and class II malocclusion

jf74

#8 Post by jf74 »

If you absolutely need your coffeine in the morning you can always grab one of the millions of version of energy drink out there, they even have light version now with no sugar.

Or just buy a bottle of coffeine pills ( wake-up pills ). 80-100 mg is around the amount that you have in 1 coffee. Coffeine pills usually contain 100 mg.

jennielee81

#9 Post by jennielee81 »

Excedrin has caffeine in it also. I keep a bottle in my purse to give me a little boost once-in-a-while.

I have also used the caffeine pills mentioned above.

Green tea is light in color and has caffeine in it....diet mountain dew (swish after to rid your teeth of the acid).

Good luck. I also like my caffeine in the AM, though only 1 cup's worth, but I do understand!!! :wink:
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

lionfish

#10 Post by lionfish »

If you can come at coloured ligs, I can recommend mauve (lilac) and silver as being fairly stain resistant. Then you can drink all the coffee you want.

dagwoman

#11 Post by dagwoman »

Super-strength NoDoz. One tablet has 200mg of caffeine- about half a tablet is one cup of strong coffee. It's got a ridge down the middle of the tablet so you can break/bite it in half and swallow it.

Kat

#12 Post by Kat »

WOW some of you may want to get a grip on your caffine intake! :shock: Braces may be the least of your problems in the long run...

Way Too Old For This

#13 Post by Way Too Old For This »

WOW some of you may want to get a grip on your caffine intake! :shock: Braces may be the least of your problems in the long run...
Kat, I know what you mean. I am horribly addicted to caffiene and just can't get off of it. I get massive headaches when I don't get my caffiene. Now my doctor told me I have rosacea which is affected by caffiene.

One thing I don't have to worry about is staining my ligs. Everytime I see a post about that it makes me glad I have metal braces. I didn't really have a choice but if given one I probably would have chosen the ceramic or clear or whatever they are. Back then I did not know staining was an issue.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

dagwoman

#14 Post by dagwoman »

Hey, I'm a uni student- I'm supposed to be a caffeine freak! At most, I drink the equivalent of one strong cup of coffee a day, and it's usually less than that.

lionfish

#15 Post by lionfish »

Kat, I know what you mean. I am horribly addicted to caffiene and just can't get off of it. I get massive headaches when I don't get my caffiene. Now my doctor told me I have rosacea which is affected by caffiene.
I used to get serious caffeine withdrawal headaches when I went without coffee, and I was only drinking one cup a day. I gave it away about 5 years ago and now ration myself to one cup a fortnight or less. Drinking the occasional coffee isn't enough of a trigger for the headaches to return. I still drink tea, but that has far less caffeine in it.

What intrigues me is that we have a friend who can drink coffee at 10 pm and still fall asleep. :shock: