New to braces and swallowed a separator!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

natalietracy

New to braces and swallowed a separator!

#1 Post by natalietracy »

Hi everyone :)

I'm new to getting braces at age 22 (23 on Monday!) to correct a massive protrusion of my front teeth and overcrowding, which makes it extremely difficult to clean properly. That, and my dentist/orthodontist said that I'm an extremely interesting case as I also have an assymetrical mouth essentially.

I just had the separators put in on Thursday morning, which I thought wasn't too bad until I tried to eat something and then the pain I experienced would be put easily on the level of that when I got my wisdom teeth taken out. Unfortunately, just a few moments ago I ate a banana and one of my 6 separators has disappeared into the unknown! Does anyone know if this is a problem? I asked prior what to do if they fall out and he said that means there's enough space created... but I somehow feel like it is too early?

Other than that event, I get my bands put in on Friday :) And, just for some fun facts I'm a nursing student from Melbourne, Australia.

I'll most definitely post some pictures up soon. It's been fun reading and seeing everyone's progress - very motivating!

natalietracy

#2 Post by natalietracy »

It felt like it was bound to fall out, as I could easily move it back into position, and I don't really remember any difficulty with any of them being put in. Even now it feels like there's quite a bit of space there that was created (and there originally anyway).

I'm thinking of calling up tomorrow anyway just to see what they say :) Thanks for your help!

lionfish

#3 Post by lionfish »

I guess that's up there with swallowing brackets :lol:

Welcome to the board, natalietracy, and good luck for Friday.

natalietracy

#4 Post by natalietracy »

I phoned up this morning and was given the all clear that it wasn't an issue :) I have to admit, it is a bit of relief having one of those painful little things gone from my mouth :lol:

And thanks for the welcome! Good to see some other Australian's also. I used to live in SA - I was born in Adelaide.

Willz

#5 Post by Willz »

I've swollowed brackets before :D