Filler Material on Molars

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

iamtimj

Filler Material on Molars

#1 Post by iamtimj »

Aloha Everyone,

I found this website over the weekend and my braces were put on yesterday. Just as I was getting ready to leave the office, the Dr. asked me to bite my back teeth together. I couldn't do it was the upper teeth were hitting the lower brackets.

They took me back to the chair and added some filler material to one of the upper molars on each side. This feels really weird to me and I'm finding it almost impossible to eat or chew with this stuff on my teeth.

Do you know if this is a common practice? Do I have any other options? I'm thinking about calling the Dr. back and asking that it be removed. What do you folks think?

Thanks!

Tim

iamtimj

#2 Post by iamtimj »

bracedagain wrote:Hi Tim,
Welcome to the club!
Your molar buildups are sort of common with a deep bite.
Thanks Ken--It just seemed like such an afterthought as I was leaving the office and it feels so weird. Glad to know it's kinda normal.

It is beautiful here in Hawaii today...even with braces on 8)

Aloha.

Tim

SandraJones

#3 Post by SandraJones »

iamtimj,

Be prepared for periodic frustrations with your bite !

I didn't receive molar buildups, just standard braces 2 1/2 weeks ago, My teeth are already on the move and my bite has changed. Currently only my right upper and lower 2nd premolars touch, no other teeth touch ! My anterior overbite which was 1-2 mm is now 0 mm because of it. :-/ I'm sure it's not nearly as annoying as your situation, but it's driving me a bit crazy right now having just these 2 teeth touching. But I realize it's a sign of progress so I'm putting up with it.

It's hard to be optimistic and motivated when you've just gotten your braces on, but after they've been on for a while and you see noticable improvement, I think you will be better able to put up with the frustrations. :-)
Nov 1960: born
1973 ?: palate expander
1973-1977: braces
Aug 1981: Le Fort I, posterior impaction to correct anterior open bite and class II malocclusion
Aug 2007: braces again to correct various alignment issues and class II malocclusion

MrKadash

#4 Post by MrKadash »

I had molar bonding, and believe me you will get used to them. It feels weird for a few weeks, for sure.

cwatt1

#5 Post by cwatt1 »

I've got them as well, and agree completely. It feels weird at first since the only teeth that really meet are the molars -- it does take some getting used to, but once you do it's really not that bad. For those of us with deep bites it's much better than chipping your teeth on a bracket, or even shearing one off :!:

Click here to read about my progress.