Why do elastics break?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

genxsis

Why do elastics break?

#1 Post by genxsis »

I'm closing in on the 2 year anniversary of having braces, and I've noticed that my elastics keep breaking on me, sometimes only an hour or so after putting them in. It's usually the one on the right side of my mouth that unexpectedly snaps. Why does this happen? Since it's close to by end-of-braces time, is it a sign of progress??? :wink:
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"

jennielee81

#2 Post by jennielee81 »

My guess is that it's just a natural break-down of the latex in the elastics. Some of the bags I had broke all the time and others didn't.

I don't think (my opinion here) that the elastics have any idea that your close to the end of you're treatment; doubt that's why they're breaking, BUT I am happy for ya!! :thumbsup:

Try another pack of elastics. If you don't have one, drop by your ortho and ask for another one. They're used to that request!

Keep up your good work with wearing them, they really do work!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

dubnobass

#3 Post by dubnobass »

I'd agree with the batches of bad elastics theory.

I wore elastics constantly for about 6 months and towards the end of that period, I was given elastics by the ortho's office which were just *rubbish* - they stretched out of shape/size after 5-6 hours and didn't do their job anymore. They would snap if you ate anything with even a smidgeon of oil/grease in it. I had to replace them 4-5 times a day. They also didn't seem to have as much elastic force - I doubled up on them.

I'm back in post-surgery elastics now, and have 4 bags of elastics in my possession - 1 good, 3 bad. The bad ones stretch, snap etc.. the good ones never break and never change size. I am therefore making the 1 'good' bag last me for as long as possible - I've been wearing my current set of box elastics for over a week!
Braced May 2005
Bimaxillary surgery Aug 2007
Debraced Jun 2008

genxsis

#4 Post by genxsis »

Thank you everyone! I guess the ones I'm using could indeed be a bad batch. It's also possible, probably even more so, that it could be a sharp edge on a bracket since they usually only break on the right, and the break seems to come from the top. I'll mention all of this to my ortho when I see him in about 2.5 weeks.

My debracing time is (supposedly) coming up soon, but not too soon. January 31st will be my 2 year point and that's when the ortho says we're "shooting for".
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"