Upper wire extending waaaaay past last bracket?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

julesss

Upper wire extending waaaaay past last bracket?

#1 Post by julesss »

I'm confused about something, I will try to explain the situation as clearly as possible.

A few hours ago, I noticed that my wire is extending FAR beyond my last bracket on the top (right side). I really thought I lost a bracket because the wire has been rubbing horribly over the weekend, it's very painful and I have a big sore now.

I had an adjustment 2 weeks ago and it didn't hurt then. I have had my braces for 16 months now so I have had quite a few adjustments... there is no way I left the office with this much wire sticking out.

What is going on? Are wires totally 'fixed' or are they just kind of held in place by the brackets? I'm wondering if over the past 2 weeks, my overbite has receeded and that's why there is extra wire sticking out and (causing horrible pain). Maybe I'm going crazy and I did leave the office like this??

I will be calling my ortho first thing in the morning... just wondering if anyone could provide an explanation before then.

Rainy

#2 Post by Rainy »

Julesss I am sitting here in the same situation. I have about a 1/4 inch of wire sticking out past my bucal tube on one side, and the other side keeps coming out. I think I have a combination of moving and the wire sliding. I am keeping a huge wad of wax on the end of the wire till I can call the Orth in the morning.

Rainy

ghotieyes

#3 Post by ghotieyes »

I've had my wires stick out the ends for 2 reasons. First, is because my teeth have moved and the wire extended out as a result. The second, my ortho left one end long on purpose because I have a stubborn rotated tooth and the longer end was supposed to help it turn. Once it finally did start turning, the wire stuck out even more and started to be irritating. Luckily I had an adjustment 3 days after it started rotating so it wasn't so bad.

4113n

#4 Post by 4113n »

it happened to me first few times. i hate how it hooks onto the inner cheek

neas

#5 Post by neas »

mine did that after the initial fitting, whenever i 'puffed' my cheeks out i'd hear a prong and feel the wire unclip from my inner cheek, was not pleasant.

Altho it wasnt that painful tbh.

julesss

#6 Post by julesss »

Phew! Glad that's over!!!

It -was- because of progress and it was almost 1/4 inch of wire!

While I was waiting for the Motrin to kick-in last night, I tried to snip it off myself with some electrical wire cutters. lol-I could barely fit them in my mouth and when my husband saw what I was doing, he took them away from me.

"We paid 5 grand for those! Don't you dare do that!"

:)