first adjustment

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Killaking

first adjustment

#1 Post by Killaking »

tried a search nothing good from you guys experience was there a real change and do some of you guys get power chains on the 1st adj.?

ssfw

#2 Post by ssfw »

The adjustment appts. varies with everyone. Alot of it depends on how fast/slow your teeth have moved and this can depend on how many weeks it has been since your braces were placed. I always look forward to my ortho. appts. to see what will be done - sometimes not much and sometimes alot. My ortho sometimes tells me what will be done at my next appt. if he plans to change the wires, etc., which usually means a little longer for the appt. Most of the time, he takes a look at how my teeth and bite are looking and decides what to do from there - I think he always has an idea of what will be done at the next appt., but it all depends if my teeth have moved to the place he was expecting.

Good luck.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

fx4

#3 Post by fx4 »

My first adjustments coming soon too and I had the same question. People are warning me that the thicker wire is going to go in and make the teeth tender again any truth?

idolfan4

#4 Post by idolfan4 »

Oh yeah. I got a metallic green powerchain at my first adjustment, because the orthodontist wanted to start closing my gap.

lionfish

#5 Post by lionfish »

My first adjustments coming soon too and I had the same question. People are warning me that the thicker wire is going to go in and make the teeth tender again any truth?
Not everyone gets a wire "upgrade" at the first adjustment.

I got a part powerchain around adjustment no. 3, I think. It was used to rotate a lower premolar and only stretched across 3 teeth.

thesallymonster

#6 Post by thesallymonster »

My tops didn't get a new wire at my first adjustment (but I did get lower braces then), but both arches have had wire changes at every adjustment since. I didn't get a powerchain (on top only) until my third adjustment.

I think it really depends on the person what happens at the first adjustment, though. Everyone's teeth are different, so your experience will probably be unique to mine.
*The Sallymonster*

Now in elastics, too! Since 2/25/09.

Megan89

#7 Post by Megan89 »

I had my first adjustment today. All he did was take of the the old purple ligs and put on new pink ones. When I first got my braces on he wasn't able to but the ligs fully on each tooth, but now all of them have a nice pink lig wrapped around the bracket.

It wasn't very eventful. I kind of wanted a new wire, or powerchain. I want these braces off. fast.

Killaking

#8 Post by Killaking »

just got back i got a new color, a thicker wire and a power chain on the gap so far no pain but i know when the day goes by it will come.

selak345

#9 Post by selak345 »

I got powerchain on my 3rd appointment. I felt some pain during the night and the day after putting it on.