Teeth look straight, can we debrace?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SinOnYourLips

Teeth look straight, can we debrace?

#1 Post by SinOnYourLips »

OK, well not yet but almost. I got my braces 6.5 months ago. My estimated treatment time was 10 months. I only have my top braced and my only problem was 3 (1 in the front 2 in the back)teeth out of alignment with the rest. My bite is good and only one of my teeth (front) had an underbite. Now that front tooth is completely straight and aligned with the rest, making my bite good and so is one of my back teeth. I have the other one back tooth left which is in the same position as the other back tooth was, just on the other side of the mouth. I know making the other tooth aligned will take another 2.5 months. So sounds like my estimated treatment time was almost right on...but here is my qustion:

As soon as all your teeth are aligned, and I don't seem to have a bite problem, do braces come off? Or am I going to have to walk around for another few months with my teeth already in place? How does it work?

Help! :?

Estimated Treatment Time: 12 months to life

SinOnYourLips

#2 Post by SinOnYourLips »

Anyonee? :oops:

SinOnYourLips

#3 Post by SinOnYourLips »

Hey thanks, Karen but it's not that easy!

Since I ask my ortho at almost every adjustment, when I will be done he developed this answer for me "Not yet...you still got some time" and he never tells me stuff. :x

But it's not my fault, I model on the side and I've missed some fashion shows already because I didn't want to perform with braces, I want to get back SPAM SPAM SPAMMING!

I guess I will ask him this time though, considering it's my last tooth.

I was just wondering if they make you stay in braces with teeth in new places so "they adjust fully". But I guess x-rays might be the answer...

Do they tell you the results of the xrays right away? Or at the next adjustment?

SinOnYourLips

#4 Post by SinOnYourLips »

Meryaten, I will try it next time.

Things is my ortho is not a friendly type..I'm better off asking the assistants, they seem to tell me more things than my ortho. He just always had this tone that suggets " don't worry about it. I know what I'm doing" but it's not the fact that I doubt him its the fact that I want to know whats happening. *pure frustration*

DavidT

#5 Post by DavidT »

My dentist wants to wait 6 months after the teeth are in place. He said he wants to use the braces as a retainer to make sure the teeth don't relapse. Is this unusual? Shouldn't the retainers do their job?

jennielee81

#6 Post by jennielee81 »

I had one last tooth that needed adjusting in my last few weeks and it was addressed at my last adjustment. Then at my very next appt. (2 weeks later) my braces were removed.

Don't know if using the braces as retention is usual or not, but I would HATE it if it were me!! I wanted my braces off at the first possible moment. I've not seen any on here who had this in their treatment but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it!

I'd rather wear my retainers for those 6 months than braces . Just my preference, mind you.

It is more common to remove the braces once the teeth are finished and then move into retention. Rather than keep the backets and wires on for a while after the teeth are finished.

Best wishes to you!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

platinum

#7 Post by platinum »

SinOnYourLips

What about switching to Invisalogn for the rest of your treatment?
In my case it is possible. That would speed up your modelling career.

SinOnYourLips

#8 Post by SinOnYourLips »

Platinum, honestly I had to pay $3,000 for my top braces...and I don't want to pay any more, plus I should be done in 2-3 months (I'm really hoping) so there's really no sense changing it now, at this point of the treatment. Just really hope they're off by xmas/new years time, that would be the best gift ever!

Thanks everyone for the input, I guess we will find out what's happening at the next adjustment. PLus I'm thinkin about goin in 2 weeks early because this adjustment was to straighten out the 2nd tooth completely and it's already perfectly in line, so I'm ready to start the 3rd tooth.

Oh, that sounds so complicated! =X