Elastics

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

regulering17

Elastics

#1 Post by regulering17 »

At my next adjustment I might get elastics, hopefully not, but gotta face the truth. How is it? For how long will I need them do you guys think? For how long did you guys have them?? Does it hurt? All information is appreachiated, and I apologize if this question has already been asked. Does this mean I'm getting closer to the end of my "journey" or "torturment"?I should just ask the doc I know. But he doesn't say much..I feel rude

-Mona

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

I knew from the start that I'd be getting elastics. Lots of them.

Like everything, there is an adjustment to be made, but once done they're OK.

I have no idea how long you'll need them for, best to ask your ortho.

I've worn elastics for 14 months, both full and part time.

Some people get elastics on day one, some in the middle of treatment, some towards the end. It all depends....

NikkiB

#3 Post by NikkiB »

I got elastics about a month and a half ago, 6 months into treatment. I'm slated to have mine on for 2 years, however, it was confirmed by my orthodontist that due to my hyper vigilance in wearing my elastic (only on one side) I have cut down my time in braces by a couple months possibly.

Mine are being used to pull a tooth over, however, soon they will be using them to pull the tooth over and correct my midline that was thrown off by a spring.

You just never know how long and what for. :)

Cor1

No matter what............

#4 Post by Cor1 »

Hi there, yes I must agree, that NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU WANT TO TAKE THEM OFF.....................DON'T!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been in and out of elastics since I started a little over a year ago.....now I'm back on them, and at my last adjustment, I got a stainless steel top archwire.............and on my right side I have to wear a "DEBBIE" strength inverted triangle 24/7, and on my left I only have to wear it at night.......................WHICH LET ME TELL YA, THIS WEEEEEE BIT OF AN ELASTIC IS AWFULLY TIGHT ON ONE SIDE.............AND WHEN I HAVE TO ADD MY NIGHTLY ONE...............OOOOOOOOOH MY I WAS FRIEKEN LAST NIGHT............I COULDN'T KEEP MY MOUTH OPEN.........AND THAT IS A VERY SCARY FEELIN............CAUSE NOW I'M THINKIN WHAT IF I GET A COLD............HOW AM I GONNA BREATH........NEEDLESS TO SAY I HAD A VERY SLEEPLESS NIGHT LAST NIGHT...........HOPEFULLY I GET USED TO THIS SET SOOOON!!!!!!!!!! :( :(

COR1

Higgy

#5 Post by Higgy »

Hey! Another person in one sided elastics!!! It all depends on your own situation about how long you have to wear them etc.....they take some adjusting to, and if you aren't hydrated enough, they can cause irritation, but it gets better as you go along.

Supermax

#6 Post by Supermax »

I'm "supposed" to be debanded sometime December.

Elastics were put in a month ago, along with new archwires to now correct a crossbite on my molars. From the top inside to the bottom outside. I went for another adjustment yesterday, and begged my ortho if there was another alternative....I can't recall being in so much pain ever, the surgery was a piece of cake compared to my molars moving....ouch...ouch...ouch :(

It seems like this really is the best way to achieve this, and I really have been diligent even if it is hurting. I have been wearing them for about 23 hours of 24...I just wish they would move faster :? I also can't help wondering how on earth is she going to correct a crossbite in two months??? Admittedly it's not too bad, but it's still asking quite a bit of movement.

I think i'm just feeling down because she has really done some major adjustments since the surgery and I haven't had a break from the pain. But I'll be gutted if I have to delay the debanding date, so I'm just biting my lip and trying to bear it..... :( Aaaargh...this is really sore now :? :?

regulering17

#7 Post by regulering17 »

thanks guys!
I MIGHT get them, and it will be to correct my bite. I'll make a list of questions to ask him next time I'm there...:)
- Mona

kirjax

#8 Post by kirjax »

I was on one sided elastics for 2 months. This was all do bc they couldn't get the cleat to come back out and told me I'd have to have it replaced. Luckily next appointment they got it out.

I have a crossbite. Wore one sided for 24/7 for first month. First couple of days were a nuisance. AFter that they actually felt better in then out. Then at the next appointment I was told just at night. Now I have to wear them 24/7 on left side and just at night on right side. I've had elastics since second month in braces.

However, I was doing great. My ortho said my crossbite looked great and told me to keep up with it (and I normally do) but I got a nasty cold last week with it came a few cold sores and mouth sores. So for about a week I haven't worn them. I am going to start again tonight since most of the sores are healed. But boy once I started putting them in again my mouth ached!! But you have to suck it up and do as your told. On a scale of 1-10 their about a 5 (pain) and 7 (nuisance) however after a few weeks they're about a 3 and 5 (well this is for me atleast remember people handle pain differently)!

Sentenced: 20-24 months
Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

kirjax

#9 Post by kirjax »

oh and like the poster above mine are worn inside top to outside bottom to fix a crossbite. These are more annoying I think then having typical outside elastics. Because the bands limit your movement greatly. I am hoping I don't have to wear them the entire treatment but I have a feeling I will. my crossbites pretty bad.

Sentenced: 20-24 months
Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!