Gap between teeth. Help!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ame_malia

Gap between teeth. Help!

#1 Post by ame_malia »

Ok, so on my last appointment (sept 27) my ortho added a new rubber band configuration to help the middle of my top and bottom teeth meet up. Its going from the top right to the bottom left, pretty much right across the front of my mouth. I have another going the same directions, but more towards the back of my mouth.

Here's my problem: now there is a pretty noticable gap between my canine and the tooth next to it that are on the other side from where the rubber bands are pulling. The gap is big enough that I can easily fit my little tree-brush-thing brush between my teeth. My next appointment is the week after Thanksgiving.

My question is : should I call my ortho and tell him, or just wait?

My camera isn't working currently, so I took one of my older pics and made a diagram out of it, since I figure my description isn't that clear.

Megan89

#2 Post by Megan89 »

I think that's normal. I've obtained a rather large gap between my big tooth and the one next to it (such professional terminology, eh?). Granted, he will be filling that gap with some kind of bonder because the tooth next to the first big one is smaller than all the rest. But needless to say, since getting braces i now have gaps between all of my front 6 teeth. When flossing is effortless.

My ortho said that overtime they'll close back up as the teeth get straighter, and my back teeth move up.

Just check with your ortho to see if the gaps are okay.

smile2006

#3 Post by smile2006 »

Do you have a powerchain currently, if not that might help to minimize the gap. However, given the direction of that pull it seems logical that a space would open up. So maybe your ortho is just expecting this but failed to tell you.

KikiloSugilo

#4 Post by KikiloSugilo »

Ame, I got elastics about 2 and 1/2 months ago to fix a minor underbite, and in doing so small gaps formed on the bottom. I too was concerned and asked my ortho what was going on and he said it was normal and not to worry, and about a month afterward, he put powerchains on the bottom to address the problem...so it's probably nothing to be overly concerned about

ame_malia

#5 Post by ame_malia »

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm going to call him today and see if that was expected.

ame_malia

#6 Post by ame_malia »

smile2006 wrote:Do you have a powerchain currently, if not that might help to minimize the gap. However, given the direction of that pull it seems logical that a space would open up. So maybe your ortho is just expecting this but failed to tell you.
I no longer have a powerchain. (old pic) :)