Going crazy with the molars not touching

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Gilda

Going crazy with the molars not touching

#1 Post by Gilda »

My son had Herbts appliance put on a couple of days ago. Now he doesn't have one single back tooth touching so he has been chewing with his front teeth.

How long into the treatment will he have to deal with this problem? Or this will be resolved only after the treament is over? (Two years)

thesallymonster

#2 Post by thesallymonster »

I wear a Herbst appliance, my back teeth didn't touch at first either due to my deep bite. It will probably take a couple weeks before your son's back teeth come down and touch again. Only the very back molars will likely touch at first.

Then again, I have full braces with my Herbst, and I think some kids wear Herbsts without braces, so if your son doesn't have braces yet his case might be different than mine. If his back teeth don't touch within a few weeks you might want to ask your ortho.
*The Sallymonster*

Now in elastics, too! Since 2/25/09.

Monroeski

#3 Post by Monroeski »

My back teeth aren't touching right now, either, mostly due to my bite plate (though even when I take it out, my front upper teeth rest on one of my front lower brackets, so I can't close my jaw then, either). I think I've always generally just been a very tolerant person, and it has only been 3 days for me, but I have just taken to not chewing fairly well. Just swallow it mostly whole, cut it into small pieces, and try to stick to soft foods so he doesn't have something hard and pointy stuck in his throat.

bbdodger

Molars don't touch

#4 Post by bbdodger »

I have the same problem, that my molars don't touch. Thankfully, I've learned to chew crooked, so that I can saw food small enough to swallow. It has also helped me to take BIG BITES of food.

Chewing with my front teeth is hard, since that's where my teeth are the most tender from braces.

It's really hard, and there is only so much mash potatoes a person can eat before they go CRAZY!!!