How long did it take to close the gaps?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

John939

How long did it take to close the gaps?

#1 Post by John939 »

Hey everyone, this is my first post as I only just found out about this place! I'll give you the quick low down, I'm a 21 year old student from Australia and I got my braces at the start of August last year.

So far it seems everything is falling into place and my bottom and back teeth seem to be in the right place BUT there is a few gaps between my top front 4 teeth. Did this happen to anyone else? And If so how long did they take to close?

Either way my ortho says I'm in the final stages and ahead of schedule so I'm really really excited to get them off! He said Christmas some time ago and I've got my fingers crossed that its still true.

Would make an absolutely smashing chrissy present dont you think! :)

John939

#2 Post by John939 »

Oh and ps. I wasn't looking for exact answers, more along the lines of whehter the closed quickly or slowly, just to get some sort of idea. Cheers! :)

Thathrill

#3 Post by Thathrill »

I think the standard rule is teeth move on average 1 mm per month. of course everyone is different. I found that some of my teeth move pretty fast while others lag behind. but it all depends on how large the gap is
Brace date: 5/2/2007
Debanding date: 1/14/2009
Ceramic Braces: 20 months
Currently in clear Essix retainers at night

My Blog: http://jjfan1.blogspot.com

lab117

#4 Post by lab117 »

I had a couple of gaps open up on my top arch after wearing braces for 8 months. Last appointment I had my first experience with power chains in an attempt to close those gaps.

In my case the gaps were closed in a few hours. Of course these were not large gaps (maybe 1 mm). So as you can see there is potential to close a gap very quickly. Of course everyone will have very different experiences, but lets hope that yours close faster than slower.

BobKitten

#5 Post by BobKitten »

I had my braces put on early August last year too! hiya, John :-1

I've found two different types of gaps. The ones which the ortho 'made', by pulling my teeth back to turn one particular tooth (I was a bit scared that I might have a gap-toothed look with my front two for a while!), which seem to have closed *really* quickly (one adjustment), and then the somewhat more reluctant gaps created by the teeth pulling... my ortho says that these are much slower to close in adults than in children, which isn't great, but I'm crossing my fingers they get a move on sometime soon! The bottom row had powerchains on for ages (ow!), which has greatly reduced these, but the top are being very stubborn!

Hope you make your Christmas deadline, btw, I've my heart set on sometime before my 28th birthday in February! :D

Sherri

#6 Post by Sherri »

I have been well over a year just trying to close my upper extraction gaps. Close to three years total. I have one stubborn gap about 1mm wide and it will just not close!

travelbug

#7 Post by travelbug »

I had 4 teeth extracted (all of my first bicuspids) in April, and my lower gaps closed completely within about 4 months. We're still working on my upper gaps, which are getting close! I would estimate the uppers will be closed within another month or so... so probably about 7 or 8 months total for my uppers.