Bite plate

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jamiesommers

Bite plate

#1 Post by Jamiesommers »

Hi all! I'm a 44 year old (!) mom and can't believe this but am probably going to be wearing braces soon. I just saw my ortho for TMJ and deep bite issues. He is recommending that I wear a bite plate (top and bottom) for the next year, to be followed by braces for 2 yrs or so. He said the bite plate is to fix my bite. I've been looking around for info on bite plates and thought maybe someone here could help, since it seems like such a nice and knowledgable group. What does a bite plate do? Is a year a long time to wear one? Thanks in advance, and I'm sure I'll be visiting here often!!

Monroeski

#2 Post by Monroeski »

I just got an upper bite plate put on last Wednesday. Basically, it keeps your teeth from hitting each other in bad ways; for instance, given my overbite, my upper front teeth would normally be hitting against my lower front brackets all the time, so they put the plate in on the top of my mouth, behind my teeth, so that my lower teeth don't come up where they shouldn't anymore.

Yes, that means it's basically impossible to chew. I probably have a good half centimeter of clearance on my back teeth, though I'm still able to chew food to some degree.

I'm 26 and scheduled to have braces for about 20 months total, though I'm not sure how much of that I will need the bite plate for, so I can't help you as far as timelines.

platinum

#3 Post by platinum »

Many people in this forum has or has had bite plates. Especially people with deepbites. Try search funcion.

I was told I need bite plate for 6-9 months. I had removable one, so after one month I got bored with it and wore it only during the nights... Well, everything worked well, and I got rid of it after 6 months.

EmbraceMe

#4 Post by EmbraceMe »

i have an upper bite plate as well. And it does just as what Monroeski says, and least that is my understanding.

Can't tell you that I like anything about it, 'cuz I don't. I guess it doesn't bother some people, and maybe if mine were removable, it wouldn't be so bad. No, your teeth will not be able to touch (although in the past week and a half two of my molars on my right side now touch) so eating will become a very creative process :-)

I will say that it DOES get much easier, and that is good :-) I still have a lisp. Some words are very difficult to say clearly, but overall my attitude is that it is part of the necessary process to beautify my smile and correct my bite and for that I will endure, while reserving my right to complain and moan once in a while, LOL!

good luck. You'll find that after a few weeks it really does become another part of you and not that huge of a deal.

iBorg

#5 Post by iBorg »

I've had my for over a year. At first it was 24/7 but now only at night unless my TMJ is being active.

Beg for a removable bite plate.

Remember it won't be the end of the world unless you decide it is.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Jamiesommers

#6 Post by Jamiesommers »

Thanks so much for the replies. Very helpful info. I did do a search here before posting, but didn't see a similar situation to mine, that is, where the bite plate *proceeds* braces -- most of what I saw were situations where the bite plate went in with or after braces. Just trying to figure out why the ortho would *start out* with just a bite plate, and for such a long period. Does it somehow prepare the teeth for braces? Thanks again.

neas

#7 Post by neas »

my upper bite plate (been on for 3 months) preceeds my upper braces.

Its removable and i now cant talk without it, i have no lisp and hardly notice it now. And it appears to be working somewhat. I'm due to have it for 6 months more to fix my deep bite.

My lower teeth would 'bite' into the roof of my mouth whereas the bite plate aims to allow my back teeth to grow out using the archwire force over time and stopping my teeth touching.

I think its working, i notice results more than the lower brace i have on. Its really not that bad.

Boolajoojoo

#8 Post by Boolajoojoo »

The first orthodontist I saw had the exact same plan of action in mind for me... one year of bite plates and orthopedic appliances to correct the bite and relieve pressure on my TMJ joints, and then 2 years of braces. He really knew his stuff, but I was eager to get with the teeth as soon as possible. I ended up finding a different ortho who's treatment plan was to start with braces, but he still incorporated a bite plate for the first few months, and now I have build ups on my bicuspids to open up my bite.

But just from my first consultation, it's not unheard of to have a bite plate for some time prior to braces.

Jamiesommers

#9 Post by Jamiesommers »

Geez, I just looked at my last post and I meant the bite plate *precedes,* not *proceeds*, braces. I guess I'm more exhausted than I thought dealing with the shock of learning that I'll be wearing braces. I agree with you, though, Mike, that, as with much of life, attitude is everything and if braces will fix my bite and TMJ, I'm ready to get to it.

Neas and Boolajoojoo, thanks for sharing your experiences. I think you've hit on what the ortho is up to, but I will ask him more about this when we meet to go over the results on my MRI. Like you, Boolajoojoo, I'm anxious to speed up the process as well and may try to find someone who is willing to do braces with bite plate as you describe. If I go with this ortho's plan I'll be closing in on AARP eligibility by the time I'm through!

iBorg

#10 Post by iBorg »

Don't let your age bother you. I at first wondered why do it my age (started at 48), but the thing to remember is that you anticipate living at least another thirty years. If this treatment will make those thirty years more enjoyable by reducing your TMJ issues, its a great thing. I look in my mouth and see wires, metal and rubber bands and think how lucky I am that if all goes well, those things will reduce the popping in my ears and pounding on my head.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.