time between adjustments?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Scottie

time between adjustments?

#1 Post by Scottie »

Hi
just wanting bit of advice on how much time is usual between adjustments.
Got a ceramic brace on my uppers on 13th Oct so have had it on less than a week but my first adjustment isn't for 10 weeks and the ones after are 8 weeks apart. Seems a long time to me as most articles I've read say 4-6 weeks but not sure if that's more for kids than adults.

Bit of background in case it makes a difference:
I'm 31 and my 4 front teeth started gapping and also protruding forwards slightly in my 20s (I think it's combination of having a wisdom tooth out and genetics but could also be payback for not being more sympathetic to my sister when we were teenagers when she had to have a brace and I didn't...) which I believe is more unusual than overcrowding as a reason for an adult brace. The orthodontist says I should have it on for about a year (the front teeth should come back about 4-5mm and I have gaps of between 1-3 mm between the teeth at the moment I'm estimating) but obviously I want it off asap (though done properly as not going to do this again so not going to rush and get a bad job just for sake of a few months) - just wish when I first started saying my teeth are moving someone had mentioned the permanent retainer that I'm going to end up with anyway as it would have been a lot cheaper and less painful!

Anyway I was really nervous and tired at my appointment to get it put on (does anyone sleep well the night before?) and didn't really pay attention to the list of next appointments they gave me at the time. My first adjustment isn't for 10 weeks and then the ones after are at 8 week gaps. When I asked what I could expect to see happening (couldn't remember whether they're going to do the gaps or pull back first) he said not much as they're getting my teeth used to tipping until the 1st adjustment so if anything the gaps may get slightly worse before then. I don't have a power chain on at the moment which I believe I get later but 10 weeks seems really far apart to me particularly since they won't know how quickly my teeth will move (which I'm hoping will be quickly since they're still on the move at the moment even if it is in the opposite direction!)

I'm planning to phone him and query the length of time and hopefully get the appointment brought forward but wanted to see if this length of time seems unusual to anyone else in case he just says it's normal for an adult brace as no-one else I know has had a brace as an adult. (My sister had only 2-4 weeks between adjustments as a teenager but also had her brace for over 18mths as her gaps were a lot worse)
Just slightly worried that now I've paid and got brace on that I'm lower in their priorities as they seem really busy (had to wait months for referral appointment like a lot of brits have said on this site, definitely not a lot of orthodontists around here) and just want to make sure the year doesn't increase unnecessarily because the adjustments are too far apart.

anyway, any advice or comments would be appreciated.

thanks

platinum

#2 Post by platinum »

My appointments have always been six weeks. But sometimes six weeks have not been enough time for my teeth to move. Last time I was told to go home and come back after six weeks again, because too little movement.... I have had my lowers 8 months and uppers for two months or so. No elastics, powerchains or any other special things.

SnowSara

#3 Post by SnowSara »

My appointments are around 8-9 weeks apart, and my treatment is also closing gaps in my front teeth. I didn't have a power chain at first, but since my 2nd adjustment have had them and now 8 mo later all my gaps are closed up. I get little bits of movement here and there for the most part - I got a posted wire put on my bottom teeth 2 adjustments ago w/ elastic tie backs (think: metal & elastic power chain) and that closed up gaps over night (ow). My gaps did seem to get a bit "worse" in the beginning as my teeth were straightening and tipping, then the gaps began to close. Hope that helps!

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

jennielee81

!

#4 Post by jennielee81 »

Mine took about 12 weeks between adjustments. Give or take.

The "new" NiTi wires work over a longer time with gentle forces. Sometimes over a longer time than this.

It's all good, SMILE! :D
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Lala7603

#5 Post by Lala7603 »

my number of weeks were all over the place. first it was 8 weeks....then over the next appointments it was anywhere from 1-8 weeks....but never more than 8 weeks. But thats just me....i had a lot of stuff done that had to be checked so that things did not get overcorrected.

SMIles
LALA
Braces On: November 21, 2003
Braces Off: December 17, 2004
Braces Back On: November 6, 2007
Braces Back Off: 2008

Scottie

#6 Post by Scottie »

thanks for all the replies and reassurance. Guess I was just getting impatient that now I've taken the plunge and got a brace I want results immediately - guess being patient will be something I'll just have to get used to. Dreaming that the gaps have closed and then waking up to find no change is not helping.... Just have to keep repeating to myself that he said a year and I've not even hit a week yet. I have taken before pics but think I'll try to avoid taking next set until 1 month in as constantly looking in the mirror for changes is going to drive me insane I reckon - though does mean I never leave bits of food to be stuck for long at all!

thanks again

Miss Smiley

#7 Post by Miss Smiley »

Scottie, I haven't been able to see much in my lowers for the past 2 months. BUT I can tell you that they're moving because the way I bite feels totally different from before. I didn't think I saw much movement on a daily basis, but I look at my 6 month comparison pics and WOW.... Tons of movement. Eventually, you get over watching for daily movement. Sometimes I don't notice movement until right before an adjustment or other times, it's like a gap closed up over night. Teeth are odd, they kind of move at their own pace, just like people.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

Thathrill

#8 Post by Thathrill »

I was just like you scottie. I read about adjustments being 4-5 weeks but was told to come back in 8 weeks. The thing is when you are first braced, sometimes it takes a little while for your teeth/gums/roots to respond. In other times they move pretty quickly. But when you are first braced its smart to go slow and easy as then you would be able to see how you respond since everyone is different. I ended up going every 7 weeks for the first 2 adjustments due to my and the ortho's schedule then I had a 4 week and now i am on a 5 week. Its different for me everytime. The first 3 adjustments have been getting my teeth aligned and now we are working on closing the gaps which there is quite a bit lol

Hang in there and I agree about taking the pics only monthly. I used to do weekly but it get annoying and you don't see much change. I say monthly and maybe every 2 weeks should be sufficient
Brace date: 5/2/2007
Debanding date: 1/14/2009
Ceramic Braces: 20 months
Currently in clear Essix retainers at night

My Blog: http://jjfan1.blogspot.com

ilovemacs

#9 Post by ilovemacs »

I varies for everyone. I just got my top braces on 8 days ago and my first adjustment is 8 weeks from when I got braced last week. It's normal to have the first adjustment 8-10 weeks after being braced then after that they are usually (again it varies case by case) every 4-6 weeks.
Hope this helps!! :D

Scottie

#10 Post by Scottie »

well I've now come round to the other way of thinking that it can take forever to fix my teeth as found a couple of loose teeth today with my tongue which scared the living daylights out of me that something was horrifically wrong and I was losing my teeth until I searched this forum and found it's natural - my orthodontist definitely never mentioned teeth might feel loose - thank goodness for this site! Given I'm a nighttime tooth grinder who often has nightmares that I've ground all my teeth away this was not a pleasant discovery.
At least it made my worry about length of time between adjustments seem like nothing - trying to be positive and good to see how many other adults have braces from this site but can't wait to get used to the brace and be one of the 'oldies' on the site and be more blase about it all! Very little pain so far though (hope I've not jinxed myself now!) and no painkillers required - long may that continue!

SnowSara

#11 Post by SnowSara »

Scottie, it seems like yesterday I was in your shoes. It really does go by fast - I'm not going to tell you to enjoy it while you can, but really, in the big scheme of things this is just a fraction of our lives and before you know it you will be brace free and have only memories of what it was like!

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

mihaelici

#12 Post by mihaelici »

I've got my braces on my uppers in October (I actually forgot the exact date :roll: ).. and I'm going for adjustments every 3 weeks.. now waiting for some visible results.. :D

Dawna

#13 Post by Dawna »

I got mine on Oct 1, after just over a year in Invisalign. I go every 3 weeks for adjustments.

acd

#14 Post by acd »

My adjustments have been between six and eight weeks apart. The time really does fly--I just passed the one year mark and have seen huge changes. For the first time in my life I actually have straight teeth and my only regret is that I did not do this sooner.

chocolategrad

#15 Post by chocolategrad »

I get my adjustments every 4 weeks. I am in grad school and want to take them off before I graduate in May of '08