TOMORROW IS MY B-DAY!!! I'M SHAKIN' IN MY BOOTS.....

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

discomom

TOMORROW IS MY B-DAY!!! I'M SHAKIN' IN MY BOOTS.....

#1 Post by discomom »

Yes, the day has finally come. After deciding to do this in July, tomorrow I am officially a metal mouth, tin grin, brace face, hmmmm, what are some other names. Can't think of any off hand. I am nervous, excited, scared all at the same time. This forum has helped me so much though that I know that having support from you all will get me through. I am going to be posting my braces story soon, along with pictures. Thanks and I will let you know how it goes tomorrow. Lori

TigerLily

#2 Post by TigerLily »

Good luck!
Hope it goes really well.
I had my B day on Friday and I didnt have any issues whilst they went on for sitting there with my mouth open. I didn't even notice the glue stuff.
Do be prepared for the shock of afterwards though.

discomom

#3 Post by discomom »

What kind of shock, the looks or feel or both??? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

TigerLily

#4 Post by TigerLily »

To me, I did not quite realise the impact it would have on me emotionally. Will take some time to get used to!

married2abuckeye

#5 Post by married2abuckeye »

discomom (love the name!), I got my braces on back in July, and the biggest shock for me was the feeling of the braces in my mouth. Not so much the soreness of my teeth, but actually talking or drinking through a straw. I did initially panic on that first day and thought I'd be consuming nothing but milkshakes for my entire 2 years in braces, but after a few days I learned that would not be the case, and within a few weeks was eating pretty much as usual. The only things I really avoid now are crunchy fruits and veggies, like apples and carrots, and anything like corn-on-the-cob. I happily eat salads, pizza, and most sandwiches and burgers without even cutting them up!

Hopefully that gives you some insight. Like you, I was (and still am) very grateful for this forum and all the great advice.

Let us know how it goes! :D
Follow my metal-mouthed journey here

discomom

#6 Post by discomom »

Kirsten, Thanks so much for the encouragement. Drinking milkshakes for the next two years, now that is wrong why?...... :lol: :lol: :lol: I am glad to hear that you are able to eat salads. I am trying to lose weight through this as well and salads are a staple for me. Question about apples and carrots. If they are cut up or sliced into small pieces are they hard to eat then too? Just wondering. I had braces 30 years ago when I was 14 and I don't remember being restricted on anything. Although I probably was-- just didn't follow the rules back then... :wink: :wink: I will definitely let you know how it goes tomorrow. I am scared but happy that I am doing this for myself. Thanks for the response. Lori

idolfan4

#7 Post by idolfan4 »

:banana: Congratulations! :banana:

I remember when I first got braces, my mom was making fun of me, because I looked like a blow fish. My braces looked weird and they felt weird. Later in the day, I couldn't eat, because they hurt! :yuck: I tried eating chicken tenders- BIG MISTAKE! My tips are eat soft foods for the first week or two, have lots of wax and pain killers, and make sure you have an extra toothbrush and toothpaste (travel size) with you for when you go out in public. You know, for when you go out to eat. That saves you embarassments for when you walk out of restaraunts.

Good Luck!

KathyC

#8 Post by KathyC »

Hi Lori,

As you know, I'm getting braced tomorrow too. I think the feelings I have right now are the same as yours. I'm "shaking in my boots", and I'm excited all at the same time. Also, like you, I'm happy that I found this forum for all the support and friendship of people that are going through the same thing. I think I'm really going to need the support. Good luck to you and I'll be posting again tomorrow after my braces are on. Kathy

discomom

#9 Post by discomom »

Kathy, I am so glad that you posted!!! I had forgotten that you were getting braced as well!! Isn't this awesome that we can share our journey together? :) I will PM you and give you my email address. Since after all, we have the same B-DAY!!! What time are yours going on, is it 11:00 am? For some reason that sounds familiar. My appointment is at 1:30. I will be posting my braces story tomorrow with pictures too. Best of luck to you Kathy, I know that we will be ok!! :shock: Take care, Lori

PS: be looking for a PM from me!!!

SinOnYourLips

#10 Post by SinOnYourLips »

Are you guys back yet? I'm cheering for you and waiting to hear about your brace day! =]

Estimated Treatment Time: 12 months to life

discomom

#11 Post by discomom »

Hey I am home from getting my braces!!!! Not bad except for the taste of the glue. YUCK!!!! I starting to feel the pain now, not bad just uncomfortable. I am tired and have a headache. I guess I am official now!!! Check out my braces story! I posted with pics! Lori

SinOnYourLips

#12 Post by SinOnYourLips »

Aww, well welcome to the club! :)

Estimated Treatment Time: 12 months to life