If it doesn't hurt... does that mean it's not working?!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

gwynneth23

If it doesn't hurt... does that mean it's not working?!

#1 Post by gwynneth23 »

Hi there,

Firstly can I say how grateful I am to those of you who put this website together, and keep it going - and to everyone who contributes. It's made such a difference to me! I'm 39 and I had a brace fitted last Tuesday. I've really enjoyed reading the articles and forum posts here over the last couple of months. It definitely helped me feel more confident that I had more idea of what I was signing myself up to!! and what to expect. So thank you :D

As I said, I had my brace fitted a week ago. I'm not very confident on all the terminology, but I think I've got ceramic brackets on my top teeth, with maybe what you call powerchains at the sides?? My teeth aren't too bad, they are just crowded and wonky at the front. So I had two teeth extracted, one each side, and now the brace. I don't have anything on my bottom teeth. They are a little crowded too but I'm not too bothered about that - it's the top ones that show when I smile!

I took a few painkillers during the first 24 hours, but that's all. One or two of the teeth at the front are a little tender if I try to bite into anything, but I can chew pretty well at the sides, so I've been eating pasta, noodles, rice, etc (even some chocolate!!).

I think I'm surprised that it doesn't hurt more... I thought my teeth would ache and I would be able to feel the pressure of them being pulled into position... ? Maybe I have just been very fortunate? Or does it mean that not much progress is being made? Will it hurt more in the future?? Perhaps when I have adjustments etc.

Thanks for taking the time to read this - and best wishes with your own treatment!

Traceymay

#2 Post by Traceymay »

Hi Gwynneth!
My experience has varied after each vist. When I had my brace fitted I felt no pain, no pressure, nothing and was paranoid that the wire would not make a difference. When I went for my first adjustment I could tell that things had started to move. :lol:

I went for my second adjustment 2 days ago and blimey things are moving fast. I have gone from my front teeth being crossed over to being completley uncrossed and straight in the space of 11 weeks, though the new wire is a lot bigger than my first one and I can definately feel the pressure and tenderness on all my teeth, but as the days go by it gets less noticable. Make sure you take pictures and you will see the diference as time progressess. Good luck with your journey.

gwynneth23

Thanks

#3 Post by gwynneth23 »

Thank you, I really appreciate you all taking the time to reply. I do feel a bit more encouraged now that I might see some progress in the coming weeks!

chef

#4 Post by chef »

Seriously, I'm having a very easy time of it all. Oh, I got lots of metal in my mouth, and things are shifting all over the place, but I'm not in pain. I listhp and drool (worse than ever today-got a tpa thingy from the dark side), but the presure isn't causing me pain, and tomorrow I doubt I'll remember it's up there till I brush, or try to drink my moring coffee.

KK Cat

#5 Post by KK Cat »

Hi Gwynneth, welcome to the club. My own case sounds similar enough to yours so far. 2 uppers extracted and had top brace fitted just over 5 months ago at 39. I have had 3 adjustments so far and bottom brace fitted at the last adjustment also. The change in my teeth has been nothing short of miraculous, I wish I could post photos (no broadband, only dial up here, need to visit brother to use his broadband to upload a few photos). My 6 upper front teeth were extremely crooked, front 2 crossed, and I had a bit of a 'fang' thing going on. These 6 are now straight and over the next 2 years have to slowly move backwards to close gaps.

I haven't had any pain at all since I got my braces. Different people seem to react differently to the treatments. It's not a pain threshold thing (lots of friends/colleagues keep saying to me that I must have a good pain threshold), but I genuinely have no pain or discomfort (believe me I can whine with the best of them when I am in pain from other things!) I just consider myself very fortunate and long may it last. I haven't had to take any pain medication at all (other than a few after the extractions, but none since I got braces).

I used dental wax for the first few weeks on the little posts on the canice brackets, but that was because my lip kept getting caught on them not because of soreness. The only little sore patch I had was where the bottom right buccal tube on the molar band dug into my cheek, but with wax and salt rinse that healed very quickly, it wasn't bad anyway. I haven't had any problem eating either although I didn't bite into things for quite a while afterwards (it felt weird but not sore), I do now but using common sense of course.

The adjustments themselves haven't hurt either although I will admit to being slightly panicky at the amount of pressure that is exerted to get the ligatures on each bracket. (logically I know there isn't a problem and that of course the ortho knows what he is doing, but illogically I'm always afraid a tooth will break off, I know it won't of course :) ) I can feel the pressure of the new wire or ligatures for a few minutes and then I am back to normal. But move those teeth certainly have, it's amazing! I took photos every 4 weeks or so. At the time I couldn't really see a change in the mirror until about 2 months in, although in hindsight looking back at the photos you can see a difference at the 1 month photos.
2 upper 1st bicuspids extracted
Uppers braced (metal), molar bands upper & lower 25 May 07
Lowers braced 22 Oct 07
Next adjustment 21 Apr 2008
Estimated brace time 2.5 years

gwynneth23

#6 Post by gwynneth23 »

That's interesting! Yes that does sound very similar to the journey I've embarked on :) Although my orthodontist thinks it might only take 12 months... hm, wonder if she was being optimistic because I was still weighing up whether to go ahead?!

It's funny, even though I'm not really aware of the braces and they aren't hurting, I still have times when I think I just want to rip them off!! I guess it's just strange having all this "stuff" in your mouth permanently.

I am definitely needing the wax on the brackets right at the back, to stop the inside of my mouth getting sore. I went out for a meal with friends last night - first time since I got braced. I could eat the food OK, but after a couple of hours chatting, laughing etc, I had to just give up on the eating, and go and put the wax back on, which I'd taken out in order to eat - ouch :(

Still, I feel very fortunate so far - and I definitely have a lot of admiration for those of you going through more complex treatment that is painful and probably sometimes seems never-ending... I salute you!

KK Cat

#7 Post by KK Cat »

gwynneth23 wrote: It's funny, even though I'm not really aware of the braces and they aren't hurting, I still have times when I think I just want to rip them off!! I guess it's just strange having all this "stuff" in your mouth permanently.
No I know exactly what you mean! I did have a period about a week in (that lasted about another week) where the top brace was really annoying me. I had no sores but it was just the constant feel of the metal against the inside of my top lip, there were times (at home at night) where I physically held my lip out from the brace (maybe for 10 mins at a time while watching TV for example). There was also one evening where I remember putting a small piece of plastic (smaller than credit card size but more flexible) between my lip and the brace just to give it a little rest :lol: The feeling went away though pretty quickly.

I expected to have the same feeling for at least a few days with my bottom brace (which I have 2 weeks now), but I have only had 1 night where the feeling of it was annoying me thankfully.
2 upper 1st bicuspids extracted
Uppers braced (metal), molar bands upper & lower 25 May 07
Lowers braced 22 Oct 07
Next adjustment 21 Apr 2008
Estimated brace time 2.5 years

bracedbride

#8 Post by bracedbride »

I've had the same experience regarding pain. The second day & third day were hard to eat because of pain from pressure but my teeth haven't really hurt at all other than that.

My progress pictures help me see if/when things move since I don't feel much. :D