I'm so thrilled for progress, but also concerned! (pics)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BoSox2008

I'm so thrilled for progress, but also concerned! (pics)

#1 Post by BoSox2008 »

I got my Damon braces on in March 2007 (so almost 8 months ago) and have had a lot of progress! I had a crossbite and very narrow upper jaw which were corrected - thank God for elastics!

I was originally quoted 18-24 months, but the ortho said my progress has been great and he doesn't think it will be as long. We are bringing my bite together right now, and he will be able to predict a more precise time frame at my next appointment in early December! Though I hope to have them off by my college graduation in May, I wouldn't be too dissapointed if it didn't come that early as I would rather have perfect teeth for a lifetime rather than so-so teeth for one short day.

I am a little concerned that one side of my top&bottom arch still doesn't meet! I guess they are coming together slowly, but sometimes I get nervous that it just won't work. Also my bottom jaw looks tilted! Has anyone had a similar experience or is this something new - should I be concerned?

The picture order - March (1st month for comparison), October, and then November.

Ariesinatl

#2 Post by Ariesinatl »

Hi BoSox,

Congratulations on the great progress! Your teeth are coming along nicely. As far as your arches not meeting or still off, that is completely normal. I've had my arches off and on several times throughout my treatment. Even at these late stages I still have some movement going on in there and my bite is a little off.

I would say being concerned about your health and teeth is your number one priority as you will have to live with it, the rest of your life. This is a good thing! I always, always, ask questions from the Doctor.

My last adjustment was a new wire and some detailing bends, and after 2 days my tooth felt numb. I got concerned, went back in and told the Doc "Doctor, my teeth really moved, but my right tooth is numb. Is this normal" His response was " No it's not!" So he readjusted and put a new wire on, and the temporary numbness went away.

Just saying its always in YOUR best interest to ask questions, be concerned and take control and be informed and engaged in your treatment.

Next visit to the Doc, just say "Hey Doctor Strangelove, I'm concerned about the way my bottom jaw looks tilted, and was wondering what the plan is to fix it?"

Doctors love to talk. But more important they love to be listened to.
Me

Braced 23 Months 10 Days

jennielee81

#3 Post by jennielee81 »

Nothing to worry about. 8 months isn't long in braces and even though your ortho says you're ahead of schedule, he's not saying you'll be debraced in a month or two.

I was "almost done" when I was at 10 months and still had my bite worked on for another 10 months. My bite wasn't perfect until my last month.

Your ortho won't quit when you're not done. :thumbsup:

If it doesn't seem your bite is being addressed, bring it up at your next appt.

Again, don't worry about it too much...you've got loads of time to get it fixed!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm