Sedation with bicuspid extraction?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TumbleDryLow

Sedation with bicuspid extraction?

#1 Post by TumbleDryLow »

Hello everyone. I'm getting 4 bicuspids removed tomorrow. I've read a lot of posts and everyone seems to be in agreement that the procedure is pretty "easy" at least in comparison to getting wisdom teeth removed. I spoke to my oral surgeon about my nervousness and he suggested nitrous oxide. I've never had it, and the thought of having that for the first time on top of my nervousness of getting teeth extracted has put me into full panic. I guess my question is: How did most of you go about this? Just numb, totally sedated, or nitrous, and if you had it to do over, would you change your decision? Thanks!

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

I had nitrous when I was 12 and had 4 premolars removed, and I don't remember anything much about the procedure. You'd need somebody to drive you home afterwards though!

A possible alternative is oral sedation, such as 10mg of diazepam (Valium) 1/2 hr or so beforehand. You wouldn't be knocked out by that, but you'd be seriously chilled, and the extractions would seem like much less of a big deal.

I'm very nervous about things like tooth extractions myself, and when I had my mini implant screws done, I took valium beforehand, and it worked wonders to stop me stressing. I've never had a tooth out with purely local anaesthetic, although a lot of people on here have, and I don't think I ever would to be honest. I would just be too anxious.

JBalt

#3 Post by JBalt »

i had 3 bicuspids removed last week. i chose to have the nitrous gas which i have never had before. i was nervous about the whole procedure especially once i sat in the chair. the nitrous was great... once it kicked in... a happy buzz... i was very relaxed. i was aware of the numbing gel application but i had no recollection of the novacaine shots. i could hear the doctor and the assistants talking but it was as if they were in another room. i knew when each tooth came out (about 5-10 seconds) not because i felt them come out but because i could feel the docs move their hands around my mouth from the top left, to the top right to the bottom left. my doc said i actually fell asleep while waiting for the novacaine to kick in!

i would recommend the nitrous, it really helps with the anxiety beforehand. you come out of it pretty quickly and you can drive yourself home.

Miss Smiley

#4 Post by Miss Smiley »

I've never been nervous about getting dental work done until it was B-DAY! Extractions I've always taken local, root canal treatments (I've had two separate molars in one sitting for a total of 4 hours) and just fell asleep in the chair with local. If you aren't a trainwreck, maybe you could look into the oral sedation like Lisa.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

Megan89

#5 Post by Megan89 »

My dentist gave me the nitrous gas for my 4 bicusid extractions. It really took the edge off of the whole thing. I was completely TERRIFIED that the novocaine wouldn't work and that I'd end up feeling the whole procedure. But once he put the mask of nitrous gas over my face all my worries disappeared.

It sort of makes you feel happy drunk. You get a little bit sleepy, your brain starts to think of random things. You're aware of everything going on, but you just don't seem to care.

My dentist once used the nitrous oxide on me for a small filling he described it to me like this "you may feel a bit of pain...but you won't bother to tell me"