EXTRACTIONS OF WISDOMS/BICUSPIDS: IV OR LOCAL Anesthesia??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pdbprodigy1

EXTRACTIONS OF WISDOMS/BICUSPIDS: IV OR LOCAL Anesthesia??

#1 Post by pdbprodigy1 »

Hello everyone! I need some advice. I have to get 4 bicuspids extracted before my braces can be put on. The procedure will occur on Dec. 18th...separators will be placed on the 21st and then braces on the 28th. My orthodontist also informed me that I need to have my wisdom teeth extracted eventually. I don't have to get the wisdom teeth extracted right away but they will need to come out soon. The orthodontist informed me that I am able to get my wisdom teeth extracted while I have the braces on. I have the option of getting both my bicuspids and my wisdom teeth extracted on the same day (for a total of 8 teeth removed). I'm not sure if I should get them all removed at once. [b]What do you think???[/b]

Also, they informed me that I can either have an IV sedation or local anesthesia. I'm not sure what the best option is. I'd rather have the local anesthesia as it is more convenient and cheaper. I'm just afraid that I will be uncomfortable during the procedure. [b]Has anyone had their wisdom teeth extracted under local anesthesia or do most people get the IV sedation?[/b]

And what about the pain and swelling? I'm hope it doesn't last over 3 days because I have to get the separators placed on 3 days after the surgery.

Any thoughts or responses would be great.... :D

jgrrl22

#2 Post by jgrrl22 »

Hey there...

I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth extracted back in August. Now, while my experience may have been a little different since the bottom two were impacted and had to be cut out, I can say that I went with the IV sedation to have them removed. Not so much for the pain factor, but because I'm the type of person who hates "dentist noises" and the sound of a drill and cracking tooth makes me cringe... Even if I can't feel it.

As far as the after effects, I was in a moderate amount of pain for 3 or 4 days after having them removed, then was finally able to start getting back to normal. I had minimal swelling and, really, the worst part was being sore and not being able to eat much of anything.

As for the spacers, I can't really say whether or not getting them 3 days after you get all those teeth removed is a good idea or not. I decided to wuss out and go braces-free for the holidays. I'll be getting my spacers in on Jan. 5th and my braces on Jan. 11th.

GOOD LUCK!!!

tara329

---

#3 Post by tara329 »

---
Last edited by tara329 on Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ibraceface

#4 Post by ibraceface »

Hmm, in my opinion-

I'd do it all at once, and be sedated!

You'd get it all over and done with quickly, have only one recovery, and only have to pay for sedation once!

Sedation is the most expensive part- and I'd go ahead and do all of it- get the most bang for your buck!

Just my opinion tho!

I had 3 bicuspids and 4 wisdom teeth extracted also, all under IV sedation.
I need one more bicuspid out- and they are doing it while im awake.. I am TERRIFIED!

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Miss Smiley

#5 Post by Miss Smiley »

I've never been scared of the dentist, shots, and the drill. The sounds don't bother me and I've always preferred to stay awake so I can hear if anyone says "OOPS!" I had one partial bony impaction wisdom removed under local. Took just a few minutes, took longer to get me numb than to actually get the tooth out and suture it. I just felt my head vibrate like my jaw was going through a table saw, for a couple seconds. Then I heard "Okay, you're all done!" I didn't have any swelling, very little pain, and was able to eat that night. I only took some regular advil, nothing prescription.

Premolars were quick too, that took less than 7 minutes or so. Not much bleeding and luckily no dry socket because I'm a smoker. I did have to take some vicodin and codeine. One of my extracted premolars had a root canal on it.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix