This is how much of a freak I've become...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

LadyJ

This is how much of a freak I've become...

#1 Post by LadyJ »

And I mean "freak" in a good way. :wink:

My extended family doesn't exchange gifts at Christmas. Instead we all put together themed gift "baskets" with a spending cap of $25, and then we play a "Dirty Santa" game with them. Much hilarity ensues. There are informal competitions to see who can get the most stuff in their basket without breaking the cap (my bargain-hunter aunts are tops), who has the most original theme, and whose basket gets "stolen" most during the game.

I was having trouble coming up with an idea, and was almost going to just co-op with my husband and do a joint basket. Then as I was going through my recently-updated nightly dental routine, I had a brilliant idea.

This year, I am giving the gift of oral hygiene. :-}

In my basket I'm going to put an Oral-B Vitality - $18 - a small bottle of Crest Pro-Heath - $4 - a tube of Colgate Luminous toothpaste -$3 - and a pack of floss - $1. (Prices approximate.)
Braced for the first time on January 17th, 2008!
Planned with OrthoCAD iQ
Damon 3 ("social six") and 3MX brackets
Estimated treatment time: 18-20 months
This is what I'm going for!
Click on WWW to read my braces story.

ilovemacs

#2 Post by ilovemacs »

Awesome!! That's a great idea! :D I asked for an electric toothbrush and orthodontic brush heads for Christmas!! :D

lionfish

#3 Post by lionfish »

Makes a change from a bottle of wine, perfume or something for the kitchen.

iBorg

#4 Post by iBorg »

You're missing a wonderful opportunity. What about all those things the ortho gives you and you just don't use. How many Christmas tree brushes and traveling toothbrushes do you need? Also, be sure to include some sea salt and bottled water to make warm salt water rinses.

Elastics may be considered tacky.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

adultbraces

#5 Post by adultbraces »

who ever gets that present will be a luncky one! :lol:

Betty Bat

#6 Post by Betty Bat »

Got to disagree with you on this one, LadyJ, unless you're giving the basket to yourself!

Many of us on the board are obsessed with dental doo-dads and hygiene matters, but we find that those around us just roll their eyes when we start talking about yet another type of toothpaste or mouthwash or toothbrush or ...

dubnobass

#7 Post by dubnobass »

There may also be the potential for offence - one or more people might think you're trying to drop a hint about their poor oral hygeine. We have to be clean freaks - they don't!
Braced May 2005
Bimaxillary surgery Aug 2007
Debraced Jun 2008

LadyJ

#8 Post by LadyJ »

So, I thought you guys might want to see the finished product!

Here's my "oral care" themed gift basket for this year's exchange:

Contents:
Reach Access flosser - free (from my dentist - we already had one)
Oral-B Vitality electric toothbrush - $12 (eBay)
Colgate Luminous toothpaste - $2.50
Manual toothbrush - free (from my dentist)
Crest Pro-Health 500 mL - $3.50
Orbit White sugar-free gum - $1
Aquafina Hydrating Lip Oil balm - $1
Oral-B Satin floss - $2.50
Ice Breakers sugar free mints - $1
ChapStick Moisturizing - $1

Total = $24.50

(Can you tell I went for a color theme, as well? :) )
Planned with OrthoCAD iQ

ghostmyimag3

#9 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

I like the idea, its original yet everyone's hygiene should be of upmost importance although i do agree with the previous statement that we are all clean freaks when it comes to our teeth. I get laughed at even now after the top braces are off i still brush like i did, i mean i have to because of the bottoms, but its just routine now.

One should be lucky to recieve such a gift i would think. Its thoughtful in my opinion.
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

ilovemacs

#10 Post by ilovemacs »

It's awesome! I thought it would be a nice gift, but man now seeing the finished product it's amazing!!!! :D

LadyJ

#11 Post by LadyJ »

Thanks, everyone! :-D

Karen - your "home baskets" sound great! Here's a link to an explanation of "Dirty Santa" (aka "white elephant"). The SPAMMING mentioned is pretty much how we do it - draw numbers, unwrap or steal, next person...

We also let whoever was number 1 get last pick, as they couldn't see *anything* when they had to choose. Only 3 steals per round, but a gift isn't "dead" until the end of the game. A person can only be stolen from once per round, and no re-stealing (taking a gift right back from someone who just took it from you).

There are usually several "popular" items that get stolen frequently, and then strategy comes into play. I.e. if you want a gift, but you're afraid it will be stolen later, do you choose another gift you *think* will be stolen, so you can then steal the one you really wanted?

Like I said, much hilarity. :lol:
Planned with OrthoCAD iQ

badbite

#12 Post by badbite »

Looks great! I want it.

Jendz

What a great idea!

#13 Post by Jendz »

Hi LadyJ!

I love that you shared your super idea- I actually have a Christmas party at work coming up next week and we have to do a $10 limit gift exchange. It is always difficult to come up with neat ideas- but this one is perfect. All of my co-workers know about my soon to be braces and they have been commiserating with me all week about my spacers so a little gift basket with dental hygiene items will be awesome. I truly love your idea. The gift exchange isn't for one person in particular, we draw numbers and then the gifts are distributed that way- so you don't know who you are buying for.

Thanks so much for sharing your idea and for showing us the picture!! :D