springs?!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jinxed

springs?!

#1 Post by jinxed »

just come back from the orthodontist with 4 springs in my mouth, 2 each side up and down. he didn't mention anything about them or what they're supposed to be doing and i didn't even realise until i'd left and looked in the mirror. anybody know what they're for? :S

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

Are the springs on the archwire? Where?

Generally springs are used either to open gaps to make room for a tooth, or to pull gaps closed.

kaycee

#3 Post by kaycee »

I had four springs for seven months. They were attached to the hooks on my brackets and ran parallel to the archwire. For me, they were used to close extraction gaps and boy did they rub against the inside of my mouth! It was impossible to keep them waxed, the wax would just fall out. They also snagged alot of food - lol.

My orthodontist called them coils, they were titanium and he said they could go on pulling for a long time.

They were successful in closing three of my four gaps. My ortho is hoping that the closing wires I am now wearing will help that fourth gap along.

KK Cat

#4 Post by KK Cat »

kaycee wrote:I had four springs for seven months. They were attached to the hooks on my brackets and ran parallel to the archwire. For me, they were used to close extraction gaps and boy did they rub against the inside of my mouth! It was impossible to keep them waxed, the wax would just fall out. They also snagged alot of food - lol.

Sounds like great fun :wink: I can't wait!

I should be sporting 2 springs right now. Ortho was about to put them in on my 3 Dec adjustment, and I just commented would I have 'fun' with those as I was off on holiday the next morning, but when he heard that coupled with the fact that Christmas would be so near when I return, he decided to wait until my next visit. So I will be getting springs now on Jan 23 to help close my upper extraction gaps.

In a way I wish I had got them as I am in a bit of a holding pattern now, but I know it is better than getting them and then being in possible misery thousands of miles away from Orthos office, anyway after waiting decades to sort my teeth another few weeks isn't going to make much difference.
2 upper 1st bicuspids extracted
Uppers braced (metal), molar bands upper & lower 25 May 07
Lowers braced 22 Oct 07
Next adjustment 21 Apr 2008
Estimated brace time 2.5 years