Doing a few consults. Sanding between teeth for movement?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Eric805

Doing a few consults. Sanding between teeth for movement?

#1 Post by Eric805 »

Hello everybody,

I have been looking into getting braces and have done a few consults with different orthos already. Its funny because they all seem to have a differnt way of doing things and I am trying to decide what would be best for me. I am pretty picky about things like this and lI ike to shop around.

One way in particular that one of the orthos wanted to go about treatment on me was he wanted to do some kind of sanding betwen all my teeth to make room for movement. Has anybody had their treatment done this way? Is this normal? How were your results? Replies will be appreciated!

METALMOUTHPOOH

#2 Post by METALMOUTHPOOH »

I had the IPR done on my 1st adjustment didnt take very long wasnt that bad and it has make alot of space where I was super crowded.

I went with this Ortho since he didnt want to pull any of my teeth (like the others) and I am glad I did :wink:

dagwoman

#3 Post by dagwoman »

They do IPR on a few of my teeth every time I've gone in so far. It's a little uncomfortable, but not too bad at all.

Clairey Fairey

#4 Post by Clairey Fairey »

Yeah I've had IPR. My dentist was against it saying that it doesn't create enough space and he prefers the old fashoned way of pulling teeth out, my ortho argued against this and insisted that I didn't need teeth out and IPR will be sifficient. because of this i wasn't expecting very good results from the IPR, but its amazing just how much space can be created whilst keeping all your teeth!! My teeth are looking just how i wanted them to, without puling losing any in the process. I would recommend it.

SandraJones

#5 Post by SandraJones »

Eric, my orthodontist mentioned the possibility of IPR when I had my consultation, but it ends up I don't need it, my teeth are aligned now and there was enough room for all without any slenderizing.
Nov 1960: born
1973 ?: palate expander
1973-1977: braces
Aug 1981: Le Fort I, posterior impaction to correct anterior open bite and class II malocclusion
Aug 2007: braces again to correct various alignment issues and class II malocclusion

kirjax

#6 Post by kirjax »

My ortho refuses to pull teeth unless deemed necessary and they're also not for IPR unless it's the only way to get the teeth moving. I have significant crowding on bottom. Truly no place for teeth to go. And to my surprise without the IPR my teeth have almost straigtened! There is still one tooth that needs a bit of rotating but I'll be a monkey's uncle (sorry love that saying) the tooth is actually coming along fine without the IPR!!

My friend had IPR done on her bottoms and she HATES it. She says her teeth are sensitive, they feel smaller, they look smaller, she said she'd prefer to have had her teeth pulled. But it's different strokes for different folks. Me I'm happy I haven't had it done and I'm happy that if they do decide to do it they're not going to do it on my bottom fronts instead they'll do my canines since they're bigger.

all in all I think the IPR imho is better then extractions!

Sentenced: 20-24 months
Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

Miss Smiley

#7 Post by Miss Smiley »

I had IPR with extractions. My teeth are still big!
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

BracedUpG8rGrrl

#8 Post by BracedUpG8rGrrl »

I just got my braces 3 months ago, and I had IPR on my 1st adjustment visit. It was no big deal at all. I had the "black triangle" - the top part of my two front teeth was narrower than at the bottom, creating a triangular space at the top of my two front teeth. To eliminate this, the ortho did a little IPR and then powerchained the 4 front teeth to close space.

I like the idea of IPR better than extraction, because you can just shave the teeth down a tiny bit at a time until desired spacing is reached, whereas you have less flexibilty with extraction.

breal87

#9 Post by breal87 »

yes i had the shaving between my teeth as well on the bottom. I was weary at first but turned out OK. It is a little uncomfortable at first but results are fine

Wired Skull

#10 Post by Wired Skull »

Hi Eric805 I've been doing some "sanding" or IPR for the last 6 months. At my adjustments my ortho use IRP to make the "black triangles" between my teeth at the gum level smaller. it also helps positioning the teeth when rotating them. I guess it's time to do IRP on my lowers too as they wont rotate.
IRP is harmless. It feels as the orth grind the tooth down to nothing but it's just a little enamel shaved of at every appointment.

//Wired
Braces on: 2007-01-20
Ceramics upper and lower.
Elastics: 2007-08-16
Debanding: 2008-11-20 / 2009-06-12
Braces again: 2010-07-05
Metal - Lower only.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wiredskull ... 501093091/

UW07

#11 Post by UW07 »

I had IPR done today after getting my bottom brackets put on. It didn't seem to change the shape of my teeth, but it gave them that little bit of extra space they desperately need!

newmetal

#12 Post by newmetal »

Hello,

Do all orthos practise IPR...i'm just asking because my teeth on the upper arch are still not alligned but the ortho says it's time to have them off because there is no room for movement. I'm just a bit concerned as to why he did not offer to do this as an option, instead of just saying theres nomore room for movement so they must now come off...no mention of IPR.

Many Thanks
Newmetal

Wired Skull

#13 Post by Wired Skull »

newmetal

I had IPR to make the space between my gum and teeth smaller. IPR can also be used to make teeth rotate if there is little or no space between the teeth.

In your situation I would talk to my ortho and tell him my concern about the alignment. Some of my teeth isn't aligned as well as I want but my orth has flagged that it soon may be time to remove them. On my next appointment on friday I will bring this up and let him know what I want to be corrected before taking the braces off.

The ortho and the brace wearer may have different opinions about what is good alignment and what is possible to achive.

Good luck.
Braces on: 2007-01-20
Ceramics upper and lower.
Elastics: 2007-08-16
Debanding: 2008-11-20 / 2009-06-12
Braces again: 2010-07-05
Metal - Lower only.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wiredskull ... 501093091/