Straghtening teeth without correcting bite?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Eric805

Straghtening teeth without correcting bite?

#1 Post by Eric805 »

Has anybody went about treatment this way? I am not that worried about my little over-bite so I might want to just focus on straightening my teeth. Also hopefully this would minimize treatment length.

dagwoman

#2 Post by dagwoman »

To be honest, I doubt an ortho would be willing to do this. While they obviously take cosmetics into concern, they are doctors, and their main focus is on functionality and health, so you'll be hardpressed to find an ortho willing to deal with the cosmetic aspects without fixing the functional ones. It's also likely they'll tell you that if they were to fix only the cosmetic aspect, there's no telling for sure how the surrounding teeth will shift during the process, meaning that if you were to focus only on the teeth's appearance, the bite could get even worse.

ilovemacs

#3 Post by ilovemacs »

I was going to post the same thing as dagwoman. I agree 100%!! :D

Eric805

#4 Post by Eric805 »

Why is it so important to fix a bad bite anyway? Also wouldnt wearing the retainer pretty much do the job of keeping the teeth straight? Thanks for the replies. Just trying to get some answers!

mottsrods

#5 Post by mottsrods »

Eric,

In keeping up with the others, i will add this.....don't worry about the amount of time involved, period. Look at the cost of what you are trying to accomplish. It's not gonna cost anymore really to let the ortho fix your overbite/overjet than it is to just get them straightened. Also think about your age. As you get older, they are gonna shift some. And at the point you bite is at now can be possibly much worse in a few years or more. So let them fix the bite too! You will be thankfull you did in the end.

Mott
Stick a fork In me.......I'm Done!

Tipped

#6 Post by Tipped »

Very interesting question

To me.

Having a Class II Div 2 'overclosure' which amounts to an overbite, given three choices:

1. Surgery which must only be in the most dire situations, (and i am not)

2. Extractions; which are a no-go as it will collapse the upper lip

3. "Straight-forward" orthodontics and live with the resulting very minor overjet.

Which I accept.

You need to be clearer on what needs to be solved, in the case above, yes if you are given 3 choices as I was.

It's all about "weights and measures"

I'd be interested in "accurate" answers since trying to get to where you are and no further, and you are there and don't want to fix it all the way.

ohmyjaw

#7 Post by ohmyjaw »

As each person's situation is unique, it is really hard to offer a general suggestion on whether you should correct an overbite/jet or just go for the cosmetic fix. I would recommend talking to several orthodontists and weighing your options.

I had an underbite, crossbite, and asymmetrical lower jaw. I went for the surgery, because my orthodontist said my teeth would not stay straight otherwise. I could have had the cosmetic fix if I pushed for it, but as my ortho says, I would have been "married to a retainer for the rest of my life". As a side benefit, I think my face has a more pleasing shape now.

How many consultations have you had? What treatment options have you been given?

joney

#8 Post by joney »

I never realised the importance of a good bite until I started with my braces but now I realise that it is very important. What's a few more months treatment really if you get straight teeth AND a good bite?
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

Eric805

#9 Post by Eric805 »

For me at this point in my life I just want my teeth straighter as fast as possible. They don't really have to be absolutely perfect, and I really am not bothered by my minor over-bite. 6 months braces, that would be nice! I was estimated at anywhere betwen 1 year and 2 years. I have a feeling I will be dealing with the orthos pride on his own work when trying to get this done quickly.

Eric805

#10 Post by Eric805 »

I have actually had 5 consults already and have 1 more scheduled for Wed. After this one I am gonna decide what to do.

ohmyjaw

#11 Post by ohmyjaw »

It's more than just the ortho's pride - it's him/her wanting to make sure you are satisfied, and that your teeth are going to not only look good but stay healthy. They don't want to send you off with something that looks nice, but is going to fall apart a few years down the road! If you don't get it done right, there can be problems later.

Tipped

#12 Post by Tipped »

Just be aware. And not to cause freight, if you if "break bone" it will never ever be the same. Unless it is critical to "break your god given natural jaws" that is you can't even know how to eat or other, vs. "wanting" "just look" "nicer"

Don't do itIt will never be the same. Wait 2o years when the cold weather creakes into those joints.

Yes, if that subtle pain outways out of even eating now, but no, for no real reason at all.

Talk to people who have broken bones for your determinations.

Sounds like sesame, but its real :(

ohmyjaw

#13 Post by ohmyjaw »

Tipped, I am sorry but I think it is sesame.

If you really believe these claims, I would like to see some evidence. Otherwise stop scaring people with misinformation.

While some people have surgery for cosmetic reasons, many have it for health reasons - headaches, sleep apnea, excessive wear on the teeth, grinding, TMJ disfunction, etc.

And if they have it for cosmetic reasons, well, that's just fine too. For many people, it makes a big difference to their self-esteem and confidence. We are here to support them.

Tipped

#14 Post by Tipped »

ohmyjaw wrote:Tipped, I am sorry but I think it is sesame.

If you really believe these claims, I would like to see some evidence. Otherwise stop scaring people with misinformation.

While some people have surgery for cosmetic reasons, many have it for health reasons - headaches, sleep apnea, excessive wear on the teeth, grinding, TMJ disfunction, etc.

And if they have it for cosmetic reasons, well, that's just fine too. For many people, it makes a big difference to their self-esteem and confidence. We are here to support them.
You are correct of course. To each his own. As detailed above I am on the journey toward with the OP want's to avoid. It is interesting to me what he or her "case' is. As such, if he or she is dismal of my end goal, that is where I spend 20 years to achieve an 'over bite' as a result of having everything else 'normal' I am wholly interested in what is going on as such, if to him or her, that's a shrug of the shoulders, to maintain an 'overbite ' (for fun because we can and afford to) addressing that I can guarantee you certainty that braking bones never ever heal..

Don't mean to cause distress there. But that is a very very simply fact, whether elective or not.

CactusZAF

#15 Post by CactusZAF »

I'm very sorry "Tipped", but where on earth do you get your information that broken bone never heals. I've never heard of such nonsense!If it were true I would either be permanently disabled or dead as I've broken numerous bones in my "misspent" youth including my left leg, my right thumb, and my left orbit (bone around the eye socket). the broken orbit was certainly the worst fracture I suffered as it was displaced and the bone pierced the skin, however after having it surgically repaired and screwed back together with plates I'm happy to say seven years later it has most definitely healed, as have all my other fractures over the years (believe me I'm no different to the rest of the earths population, I do not posses magic healing powers that others do not).
I do however agree that if a bone is broken at or very near to a joint, arthritis could result in later life, as has happened to my thumb that I broke more than 19 years ago. To set the record straight, in "jaw" surgeries to my knowledge the bone is usually broken (or cut) close to where it curves forward (behind the molars), which as far as I'm aware is pretty darn far from any joints/articulation points hence extremely unlikely to cause any problems in later life (once it has healed).
Furthermore if bone never healed it would make orthodontic treatment impossible as treatment relies (as I understand it) on bone absorption (in front of where the tooth is going) and regrowth (where the tooth came from). So if what you're saying is true, we should all be walking around with severely unstable teeth as well as great big holes in our pallets.

Of course this is all just my opinion and I'm not a medical doctor, so if you are a medical doctor with scientific proof of what you're saying, please forgive me for overstepping the boundary. :wink: