Siblings in braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bracesafter40

Siblings in braces

#1 Post by bracesafter40 »

I saw two male siblings in braces today at the airport. One was younger than the other and wondered what that was like for the family and the siblings? I'm the only one in my family with braces at this moment.

Any siblings or multiple family members in braces out there? Do you have appointments together, etc.?

Just a curious thought on this New Year's Day.
Happy New Year eveyone.
http://bracesafter40.blogspot.com
Bridge Sectioned: Feb. 14, 2007
Last Pre-braces cleaning: Feb. 20, 2007
#21 Extraction: Feb. 20, 2007
Sentenced: 32 months
Top Braced: Feb 28, 2007
Bottom Braced: Apr. 4, 2007
New Ortho on Apr. 25, 2008
May 6; fluorescent blue ligs incl. upper powerchains. 2 elastics; Sept. 2, 2008.
Next Adj.: July 7, 2009 at 8:30a

pearls

#2 Post by pearls »

most people i know who have had or have braces, also have siblings who also had/have braces too. my boyfriend had braces and so did his little brother. my best friend also had braces and so did her little brother. My older sister had braces when she was younger, and i never did because my teeth were no way near as crooked as hers, but i want braces now because i am not happy with my teeth and am experiencing jaw issues. i have my dentist appointment Jan 9 so i am very excited! also my dad had braces when he was a teen, but my mum never did and her teeth are very very straight.
Spacers in: 9/4/2008
Braces on:16/4/2008
Sentanced for: 18 months
Metal upper and lowers

4113n

#3 Post by 4113n »

i, and so as 4 of my cousins have braces so far..

sauerkraut

#4 Post by sauerkraut »

We're not all actually in braces yet, but my 3 children and I are all at various stages of orthodontic treatment together. :)

The ortho is very good at trying to ensure our appointments co-incide. We very often meet siblings being treated together at his practice, but I have yet to meet another adult patient there.

iBorg

#5 Post by iBorg »

My son and I are in braces. I expect my daughter will join the process in March. My ortho is good to schedule my children together (my daughter has had two appointments for evaluation). I anticipate they'll be scheduled together. I could be scheduled with my son, but prefer to be treated on different days. That way I can focus on him at his appointments and me on mine.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

nogota

#6 Post by nogota »

My sisters and I were all in braces around the same time when we were kids. From what I remember my mom usually scheduled our appointments for the same day to make it easier for everyone. I'm the only one going back for more fun.

My dad also had braces as a kid, but you would have no idea now since all his teeth have significantly shifted since then.

Lala7603

#7 Post by Lala7603 »

when i was in braces the first time by brother had an expander and braces on top for a while. i got mine off and then he did too. i have mine back on now and he will have his back on when he is done growing. as far as i can remember we never had any appointments together. i, however, usually went to his appointments. My ortho usually looked at my teeth while i was there and would sometimes add a few things here and there.

my sister had braces when she was younger, and my boyfriend had braces right before i met him. basically, if my boyfriend and i ever have kids, BUDGET FOR BRACES...LOL

SMiles
LALA
Braces On: November 21, 2003
Braces Off: December 17, 2004
Braces Back On: November 6, 2007
Braces Back Off: 2008

PARR

#8 Post by PARR »

My partner and I are doing braces together. We've had a few appointments together but mostly not because of treatment and work schedules. My brother is now thinking about it, but we are not living in the same state so doubtful we'll have same ortho etc.

jennandtonic

#9 Post by jennandtonic »

My sister is 11 years younger than me and as an almost-eleven year old she's too young to get braces, but there have been some issues with her teeth and bite. Since I spoke so positively about my ortho, my mom took my sister in to have her looked at. Dr. Greer said that even though our teeth were very different alignment wise, she has the exact same bite I did when I first came in; she's also very behind as far as baby teeth goes. Like me, hers are stubborn.

Anyhow, Dr. Greer sees Abigail every six months or so to moniter her progress so that hopefully when she gets braces it won't be for the amount of time I have to have them. I'm really glad she's getting started on the process early like that.

badbite

#10 Post by badbite »

My adult bother is in braces now (I have two other siblings who both are missing lots of teeth due to bad jaw alignment). I am just starting and need two jaw surgeries (I am missing wisdom and one malor die to jaw problems) in addition to braces.

My Ortho wants to see my 7 year old now due to the jaw issues (she has like me). Most likely my older DD and I will both have an expander in at the same time. I have a four year old whose bottom teeth touch her upper gums when she bites down! Poor girl.

My son has an overbite(different problem), but he is only three so maybe he has some hope.

All three children have ugly crooked teeth. I vowed to DH that they will get them fixed even if I have to use Home Equity.

Beth85

#11 Post by Beth85 »

I've tried to give my younger sister a more positive outlook on braces. She's 18 with fairly severe crowding and is close to a class III. Not anywhere near as severe as my underbite & without a pronounced lower jaw but she finds it uncomfortable to bite down these days.
She has a huge hang-up about getting braces. I.e. negative attention from people if she were to have braces and the extra work to look after her teeth etc!

I wonder if it's maybe cos she's seen the massive progression from my lower jaw (as it's moved forward about 6mm in a year) that may have put her off. Also that she's likely to have them for at least 2 years, including extractions and what not.

Moving on, 3 of my cousins have crowded teeth & 1 has a fairly pronounced lower jaw.

Mum was the lucky one, she's lovely looking. So jealous!!! :)

Jillianleab

#12 Post by Jillianleab »

I'm the first person in my family to have braces. I have two older brothers and three older cousins (I'm the baby) who could all benefit from braces, but I was the only one who really, really needed them.

My husband was the only one of his siblings who had braces; his older sister didn't really need them, and his younger sister has the most perfect natural teeth I've ever seen in my life! :x
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

dagwoman

#13 Post by dagwoman »

Yeah, me and my 8yo sister had braces together. I got the full shebang, top and bottom, but she only got four brackets- on the two bottom front, and behind the two top front. She then attached elastics to encourage her top fronts to come forward and together. It was thought that I'd be in treatment for about a year and a half, and she'd be in for 6 months. Well, we got braced together, but at our first adjustment, my sister was finished! I guess that's why it's good to start young. They didn't debrace her that day, but told her she could stop wearing the elastics, and that if they were still how they should be at our next adjustment, she could have them taken off. And she did. So now it's just me. When she's older she'll probably have proper braces, but that won't be until I'm naked, probably. I'm glad I pushed to get my teeth checked up and am in braces now, because if I hadn't, my sister's wouldn't have been fixed and she would have ended up like me- no ortho care until I puished for it at 17.

Lisa65

#14 Post by Lisa65 »

I'm an only child and nobody else in my immediate family either has or has had braces.

My 13 yo stepdaughter got them on about 6 months before me and has just got hers off. She had a class II but elected to get the braces off before treatment was complete as she refused to have more miniscrews inserted after her first ones rejected, and did not want to wear headgear. Her teeth look OK but she still has a slight overjet and open bite. I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up back in braces or having lower jaw advancement surgery at a later date. Her sister is 2 years older and didn't need braces as she inherited her dad's lovely teeth and class I bite.

mariahfromchicago

#15 Post by mariahfromchicago »

Out of my and my 8 year old brother. I am the one with the less crooked teeth (even before braces). My brother will probably have a 2 phase treatment? I only needed them for cosmetic reasons.
- mariah