Metal Bands digging into my gums?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ripchord

Metal Bands digging into my gums?

#1 Post by ripchord »

There's no way around it, I have short teeth. This means less space for my braces. I've known they've been digging into my gums for a long time, but it's just now starting to bug me. I'm terribly nervous for the pain associated with this while getting debanded (in a year). Has this happened to anyone else? My orthodontist has seen it but doesn't say anything about it. Help!
Braced on January 5th, 2007
Debanded on April 2nd, 2009

Click www to see my story!

mjbusch

#2 Post by mjbusch »

AstronautJenny,

I had the same problem on one side. I figured it out to be a loose molar band and each time I would eat something it hurt. I found out that it was a loose band, so I called my orthodontist and asked if I could remove it myself and cut the wire. I only did this because he is 280 miles away. Another reason I removed it was that it can cause decay extremely quick if the glue has broken loose.

Here is a link:
http://www.conroebraces.com/emergency.html

mjbusch

#3 Post by mjbusch »

Double post

ripchord

#4 Post by ripchord »

The bands aren't loose at all. No redness or swelling, just a bit of overgrowth.
Braced on January 5th, 2007
Debanded on April 2nd, 2009

Click www to see my story!