This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

nicnic1987

#1 Post by nicnic1987 »

Hey everybody I am 20 years old and have just started my brace journey. So far I have a habit device to correct my tongue thrust, braces to correct spacing, cross bite, an open bite (5 mm) due to tongue thrust, and I also have TMJ. :shock: That sounds like a lot when I write it all at once, but I have been reading some of your stories and I don't feel quite as overwhelmed. :D So far I have my top arch braced and along with my habit device my open bite has close to a 2 mm gap (quite impressed with the results!)
But I have a question...
I am really nervous about getting my habit device taken out due to the fact that I feel that I still rely on it quite a bit especially at night. I used to wake up with teeth marks on my tongue, but now I wake up with an impression on my tongue resembling the habit device along with a nasty cut... :( I was wondering if anyone else has had to deal with this?

nicnic1987

#2 Post by nicnic1987 »

Hi

I have had my fun device for about 4 months now and it is the one that looks more like a fence, I don't know how I would deal with spikes!!! :shock: I actually may be getting it taken out next week at my next appointment when I get my bottom arch braced.

It took quite a lot to get used to at first, talking was a challenge...I did have a bad lisp for a couple of weeks, but now it isn't quite as bad. :roll:

I'm sure you'll be fine, the worst part is getting food stuck in it haha, ew.