Getting braced up tomorrow

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

motoyen

Getting braced up tomorrow

#1 Post by motoyen »

Hey gang,

I'm a 35yo male and I'm currently on a 6 month holiday in Thailand and I decided to take advantage of the time here by fixing my teeth. I'm getting the damon system and I've been told my treatment time is 12-14 months. Kinda nervous about how it's going to feel tomorrow, a year seems like a long time until I get them off. I'll try to get some pictures up tomorrow.

berkshirebraces

#2 Post by berkshirebraces »

Good luck with your experience. I will be 40 next month and getting braced tomorrow as well (for the 2nd time - I was 13 the first go around). I need to take some before pics as well!

Kaluna

#3 Post by Kaluna »

Congratulations on getting braces tomorrow. Hope all goes well! :-)

KatieBug

#4 Post by KatieBug »

Congrats and hope today went well. How big is the cost difference over there?

[/url]

motoyen

#5 Post by motoyen »

Well it's done and quite a different experience from the last time I had braces at age 11. Right now my mouth feels tight but not painful. I have a deep overbite so the ortho built up my back molars so that my front teeth do not hit the bracket. My question for those that have had a similar procedure what do you eat? I'm in Asia right now and I tried to eat some noodles but couldn't really bite down on them. I was eating a lot of rice here but is that going to be possible now?

As for cost. The total cost to me was just under 70,000THB or just over $2000. You can actually get it cheaper than that but the ortho I chose caters to mostly Japanese and European clients and therefore his cost and service are higher.

SolarFeline

#6 Post by SolarFeline »

motoyen wrote:Well it's done and quite a different experience from the last time I had braces at age 11. Right now my mouth feels tight but not painful. I have a deep overbite so the ortho built up my back molars so that my front teeth do not hit the bracket. My question for those that have had a similar procedure what do you eat? I'm in Asia right now and I tried to eat some noodles but couldn't really bite down on them. I was eating a lot of rice here but is that going to be possible now?.
You had your teeth built up too! Feels weird at first, and then the ortho is able to move your teeth back to where they are supposed to be. Eating rice is going to be "interesting"! I have found that after eating a rice dish in Australia, I have to wash my mouth out, then brush, then wash my mouth out to make sure I don't have any food between my teeth and brackets and arch-wire. I still eat steak and other meats, I just don't after an adjustment, and a few days after an adjustment. Soft foods are the go until your mouth doesn't hurt.
motoyen wrote:As for cost. The total cost to me was just under 70,000THB or just over $2000. You can actually get it cheaper than that but the ortho I chose caters to mostly Japanese and European clients and therefore his cost and service are higher.
Is this including your retainer?

mariahfromchicago

#7 Post by mariahfromchicago »

I never took any before pictures :(
Don't make that mistake like I did! :roll:
- mariah :heart:

moonchick

#8 Post by moonchick »

When eating rice, I found that adding hot water and letting it soak for a bit tends to soften it up and make it easier to eat. And right after an adjustment, I'm usually eating foods that involve alot of tofu or stews where the ingredients have been softened from long cooking.

motoyen

#9 Post by motoyen »

1 week on now and eating isn't getting much better. I think my ortho built up one side too much as I can only really bite down on my left side. I'm going to make an appointment to have him correct this.

I've been eating or swallowing a lot of soft rice. I had some teriyaki steak the other day and it took me a looooong time to eat it. One thing I have to be careful about is Thai food is incredibly spicy and not to get some of those spices stuck in my braces!

Here's some before and 1 week pictures. I got the braces mainly for my bottom teeth as they were very crowded.

motoyen

#10 Post by motoyen »

Had a major setback today. I had to cut my trip in Thailand short so I'm back in Canada and I went to my ortho today to talk about continuing my treatment.

I've had my braces on now for about 6 months and I was told in Thailand that my total treatment time would be 12-14 months.

Well today my ortho told me that he needs to make a correction to my current treatment and that I'm looking at another 12 months from today! But the worse part is he's going to charge me $5000 to continue my treatment. On top of the $2000 I spent in Thailand that will bring my total treatment to over $7000!

Right now I'm tempted just to tell him to yank these things off. I really can't stand having braces on, I thought I would get used to it but I'm not and I really hate them. If I rip them off now I'm only out $2000 instead of $7000 if I continue with the treatment. This really sucks!

Audra

#11 Post by Audra »

What type of correction does your new Ortho want to make?

motoyen

#12 Post by motoyen »

He said my teeth aren't aligning properly so he needs me to wear elastics.

Audra

#13 Post by Audra »

If the alignment is off - meaning your bite - then I think it's important for you to stick with it. An improper bite can affect a lot of things so it's not something to decide lightly. A few crooked teeth, with only an aesthetic component would be a different story entirely.

I know it sucks. I've only had braces for about 10 days and I can't say that I love it. But I know it will be worth it in the end because I have such a wonky bite.

It's completely natural for you to want to just get them off. Maybe think about it for a bit before you make the decision.

Good luck in whatever decision you make.