Biting Tongue

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

melliemoo

Biting Tongue

#1 Post by melliemoo »

Is this common? For some reason, I've been biting my tongue at night. It feels like my tongue is bigger than normal or doesn't fit anymore. I'm wondering if everything is just fitting together. It's almost as if my tongue has a mind of its own. :D

Boolajoojoo

#2 Post by Boolajoojoo »

Did you have any extractions? Maybe it isn't that your tongue has gotten bigger, but that there is less area due to extractions bringing down the size of your arches?

Or possibly you have some allergy to the metals in the wires that would cause your tongue to actually swell up?

It could stem from a lot of things... maybe your just dehydrated?

dagwoman

#3 Post by dagwoman »

I had the exact same problem for about the first two months of having braces- for me it had to do with the different way my upper canines were situated in my mouth. I just had to be careful when I chewed, and it got better after a while.

starryeyedfairy

#4 Post by starryeyedfairy »

I had a tongue bitting problem too!
I guess my tongue/mouth was getting use to the new shape of my mouth/jaw.

FITeach

#5 Post by FITeach »

I noticed that I clench down on my tongue now too.
I have a feeling it will go away as soon as my mouth
gets used to all of this hardware.