How do you choose an orthodontist?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dfac001

How do you choose an orthodontist?

#1 Post by dfac001 »

How do you select an orthodontist? What did you based your selection on?

I had been to 3 consultations so far. The first one was a dental sch student. The quote was expensive. Time was not flexible. And since she's a student and she needs supervision from the faculty. The treatment will be 3+ years.
4 extractions needed.

The second consultation was just bad. The dental group was bad. The quote was the cheapest but I did not even bother.

The third consultation was with the same orthodontist my bf is seeing. But he doesn't offer Damon. Just regular metal braces. He has the option to have ceramic 3M Clarity. But since I have overbite he won't recommend ceramic he said they would not be strong enough. After he has fixed my upper overbite condition he can switch to ceramic by then with 300 bucks more. He opens late week nights until 7pm. He opens on Sat too. His quote is reasonable I think. 2 upper extractions. 2-2.5 yrs treatment.

Basically my bf thinks he's ok. My bf went to other consultations as well but they were too pricey. So he settles with this guy.

I will get another consultation with an orthodontist who offers Damon. If it's too pricey or not significantly different i'll just go with ortho No.3

I just want to see how others selected their orthodontists?

Ceramics on Upper braced 02/01/08
Extracted 2 upper 2nd premolars 08/14/08
Ceramics on Bottom braced 08/22/08

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

I had a referral from my regular dentist. While I felt comfortable with this ortho, I also spoke to a previous patient of his to get some feedback before committing. It was a good choice for me; the support staff were very accommodating and friendly, and I didn't mind in the least going in there.

I wouldn't let Damons influence your choice. At the end of the day, you've got to feel comfortable with the ortho you choose because you're going to be seeing a lot of him or her over the course of your treatment.

Miss Smiley

#3 Post by Miss Smiley »

I went to the ortho who I knew had a reputation of producing quality smiles. Price was average in my area and I loved the office staff at first meeting. Another person I know just went with the cheapest, but she is no longer happy with the office and the doctor. Most of the people I talked to went with an ortho they were referred by a friend or family member. I didn't need to shop around or get multiple consults, I knew it was the one!
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

mariahfromchicago

#4 Post by mariahfromchicago »

My mom got referred to one at a party and asked a girl my age (who had braces) where she went and she found one but the appointment isn't until the end of February.
- mariah :heart:

ohmyjaw

#5 Post by ohmyjaw »

I agree - feeling comfortable with the ortho and his/her staff is probably the most important thing.

I don't think getting Damons is very important. More important that you feel comfortable, and the ortho is good at what he does.

One more thing - I am pretty sure that ceramics are just as strong as the metal brackets. I have had them throughout my treatment. The one thing my ortho doesn't like about them is that they cannot be removed and repositioned, because they usually break when they're removed. But strengthwise, I'm pretty sure they're just as good as metal.

mariahfromchicago

#6 Post by mariahfromchicago »

ohmyjaw wrote:I agree - feeling comfortable with the ortho and his/her staff is probably the most important thing.

I don't think getting Damons is very important. More important that you feel comfortable, and the ortho is good at what he does.

One more thing - I am pretty sure that ceramics are just as strong as the metal brackets. I have had them throughout my treatment. The one thing my ortho doesn't like about them is that they cannot be removed and repositioned, because they usually break when they're removed. But strengthwise, I'm pretty sure they're just as good as metal.
I agree with ohmyjaw.
- mariah

lionfish

#7 Post by lionfish »

One more thing - I am pretty sure that ceramics are just as strong as the metal brackets. I have had them throughout my treatment. The one thing my ortho doesn't like about them is that they cannot be removed and repositioned, because they usually break when they're removed.
I had several ceramics "repositioned" during treatment. While they can break when removed, it's a simple matter of applying a new bracket to the tooth in question.

ohmyjaw

#8 Post by ohmyjaw »

I had several ceramics "repositioned" during treatment. While they can break when removed, it's a simple matter of applying a new bracket to the tooth in question.
Yes, indeed it is a simple matter, but I think my ortho does not like to do that! Maybe ceramics are expensive and he does not want to have to use a new one if he can help it? Not sure...

mabelle

#9 Post by mabelle »

I was refered to my current ortho by my dentist, who is actually my bf's dad. My BF and all his siblings went to this ortho and my dentist has a excellent working relationship with him. I did originally see another ortho, who is really popular and very well advertised in metro-detroit area, but I couldn't bear to go back to his office when I actually decided to go through with the treatment. His office is full of SPAMS, toys, and other things targeted to 12 year olds. I clearly felt like a fish out of water and didn't want to deal with it everytime I had to go in for a tightening or something. My current ortho has a very generic office, which is good. Only two downsides...he's a bit far of a drive and his office staff are complain old ladies. As for the doc, I don't care for him either way...I go to him because I trust my dentist's professional opinion and I know he knows whats best for my smile. :)

4113n

#10 Post by 4113n »

opens till 7, and EVEN on saturdays? my ortho doesnt open past around 3pm and doesnt work tuesday, and every second friday (+weekends)

dfac001

#11 Post by dfac001 »

yea i know this ortho has 2 offices but somehow he's at the one closest to my home every fri till 7pm and then every sat. Gd for me. No need to take sick days to see him.

Thanks for the replies~
I think I'm comfortable going ahead with this ortho. My bf sees him. He says not bad. My dentist actually recommended him. 5 mins drive. Opens fri and sat. Staff seem nice.

Ceramics on Upper braced 02/01/08
Extracted 2 upper 2nd premolars 08/14/08
Ceramics on Bottom braced 08/22/08

lilblackdress

#12 Post by lilblackdress »

I found two orthos through the Damon website and one through my general dentist. The two orthos who offered Damons were nice, but I wasn't comfortable with their treatment plans. Well, actually, that's not correct. One of the orthos wouldn't use Damons on me because he'd prefer to use a traditional type due to my tongue thrust. The second one only offered Damons, but I felt like she was trying to adjust too many things. I went with the ortho recommended by my general dentist. I felt the most comfortable with him. The office is only 5 minutes from my school/work and I was really impressed with his staff and communication style.

I wouldn't focus so much on the brackets offered by the ortho as I would focus on the ortho and his/her ability to communicate with me and to be accessible when needed.

Spanner

#13 Post by Spanner »

My first consult wasn't very good. Although a very nice man he seemed anxious about how to proceed with my treatment and kept on asking for his colleagues opinions even though he had more years experience than them. I just felt a distinct lack of confidence about him.

My second consult was totally different. He made me feel very happy with his abilities.

I'd just like to say that I have a 100% deep overbite and my ortho never said that I couldn't have ceramics. I had mine fitted yesterday.

PS: Edited to add that I didn't base my choice on what brackets they offered. I didn't even get to find out what was on offer from the first ortho anyway. The first ortho was much more expensive but that didn't make any difference to me either.

NYG2007

Confused...

#14 Post by NYG2007 »

I am confused also. I have been to three consultations. The first one said I had two options (I have a class 3 bite. Basically "Edge to Edge" bite. My teeth are pretty straight and almost all alligned with the exception of a little crowding on the bottom. I also have a slight gap on the left side.) jaw surgery to move the top forward and top and bottom braces 18-24 months. The second consultation said I could go with the same two options, but if they were me they wouldn't do anything because my teeth are functional and my teeth look like they're fine aesthetically. The third said the only option was to go with jaw surgery and braces. He said I also could go with not doing anything also. I am confused, I think I want to do something, but I am not sure. Some days I am like nevermind. It isn't a big deal and some days I am like I think I want to do something.
Last edited by NYG2007 on Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KatieBug

#15 Post by KatieBug »

Well the way I found my ortho is quite suprising, and I got really lucky. I was on the internet one night and I typed into Google, Orthodontists near Napa, CA (where I work), and up popped a website for Cooke Orthodontics. I went and had my consult and didn't even care to shop around for a price because I felt comfortable. I figure that as long as I feel comfortable and like the treatment plan, why should I shop around?

I am very happy with my ortho and the staff, perhaps a strange finding but a good one! :D

[/url]