extended absence from going abroad

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

travelbug

extended absence from going abroad

#1 Post by travelbug »

Hi everyone,

I live in the US and I just found out that I have an opportunity to go work in London for three months this spring! I'm 9 months into my ortho treatment, and my predicted treatment time is 18 - 24 months... so I won't be done with my treatment by the time I'd have to depart. I wouldn't be able to come back to the US every month for my monthly adjustment, either. So I'm not sure what would happen with my ortho treatment?

Has anyone had to go through a similar type of "extended absence" from their ortho treatment? If so, what did you have to do?

meetli

#2 Post by meetli »

travelbug! i was in a similar situation except i was going to be gone for 6 months. my ortho told me i had three options 1. was have an orthodontist over there work on me, 2. was i might already be done before i leave, or 3. i wouldn't have an adjustment for that amount of time and i would still be ok. as you can see there are many options out there.

in my case i ended up having to change my study plans because although i'm 20 my parents pay for my ortho treatment and they did not want me finishing it with anyone other than my current ortho.