New wires

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Twinkletoes

New wires

#1 Post by Twinkletoes »

Hi everyone! Had my fluorescent yellow ligs changed yesterday and whilst I was there, the Ortho said "I think we'll put new wires in as well today!" Well, that was quite painful as my teeth were feeling tender before I went in anyway. So last night I woke up with a really painful upper canine - a type of shooting pain going right up into the root. I assume this is because it's starting to move with the new wire. Does anyone find canines hurt more than the other teeth? At the moment it's only one, but I'm sure the others will follow. By the way, I asked about wire ties and he said he would prefer to stick with ligs for the moment due to the pressure, so it's no curry for me until the night before my next adjustment (26 February). :)

Drama Queen

#2 Post by Drama Queen »

Hi Twinkletoes,
I have found that one of my canines hurts more than any of my other teeth, it is always my right one, and the pain shoots right up to the root as well. I think this is mainly due to the fact that I also have an elastic attached to this tooth as well, though I also have the same on my left canine but my right one is the one that is the most painful.

Lau x
Braced on 25 July 2006 Ceramic upper and lowers
Braces off on 3 April 2008

browneyedgrl

#3 Post by browneyedgrl »

Hi Twinkle,

I feel your pain. I went to the ortho yesterday too b/c my upper left canine kept knocking into the lower bracket. I was more concerned ewith knocking it off, so my ortho decided to do an adjustment and change out my bottom wire to a .16 rectangular niti, and I got a bumper on my lower canine too, wow... my teeth hurt!!! Didn't really do anything on the top except for change the ligs on the 5's and I couldn't get over how much tighter the wire got.

Did you end up getting wire ties? Just keep up with the OTC pain reliever and you'll feel better soon!

B
Started the journey for the second time on January 10th 2008~Ceramic uppers and metal lowers. Removed on June 2nd 2009.

[/url]

Twinkletoes

#4 Post by Twinkletoes »

No B, didn't get wire ties. I asked about them and he said he would prefer to use ligs for the moment (something to do with pressure?) I've got the clear again, but if I have more problems with staining I may be brave and go for colour in four weeks at my next adjustment. Canine is playing me up - time for more painkillers, I think! C

Miss Smiley

#5 Post by Miss Smiley »

I felt that my centrals and canines were the most sore. Molars hardly had any pain, maybe just a random ache here or there but that was about it.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

Twinkletoes

#6 Post by Twinkletoes »

Thanks for replying Miss Smiley! I've just been reading your story and your teeth look great.

Miss Smiley

#7 Post by Miss Smiley »

Twinkletoes, if my teeth could be done they would look even greater to me!
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

lionfish

#8 Post by lionfish »

Twinkletoes, I'd recommend you try silver ligs next time. They are fairly discreet and curry doesn't do much damage to the colour. Wouldn't want you to forfeit curry now, would we?