Cleaning under nance

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

VistaXP

Cleaning under nance

#1 Post by VistaXP »

I just got my nance put on and when I eat I sometimes think food could get in between the gum tissue and nance. Is there anyway to clean between?

It would be embarrassing when they take off the nance just to see a bunch of gunk on it.

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

When they take it off, don't look :lol:

Cleaning under a Nance isn't straightforward. Depending on how tight yours is, you might be able to wiggle some superfloss or a threader with regular floss underneath it, but I found it made me gag having a big piece of floss dangling down and trying to grab hold of it to pull it through.

I eventually hit on a method which works for me. I use a nylon cable tie like these http://www.indigoshop.co.uk/ccp51/media ... e-ties.jpg

They have a rough side and a smooth side. I wiggle it under the Nance from the front with the rough side downwards and use it to "scrub" the nance. Then pull it out, rinse it and do it again in a different spot. It doesn't get it 100% clean, but it will remove loose food debris and some of the plaque which tends to collect. When I use mouthwash at night I kind of suck the mouthwash through with a vigorous swishing action and hopefully some of it gets under the Nance to kill any bacteria lurking there.

VistaXP

#3 Post by VistaXP »

Thanks lisa i'll try that. I did use a floss thread but it just ended up poking my gum tissue lol.

jorx

#4 Post by jorx »

Hey,

I suppose it depends on how tight is your nance. Mine is pretty close to the palate so it is rare to have food caught under it. If that would happen, I have found that using a small interdental brush works fine for me. And a waterpik is pretty useful too. As I am concerned about bacteria, I also do a lot of rinsing too.

Hope this will help! Hang on...

BenB

#5 Post by BenB »

I have a similar problem with my quad helix. I rinse after eating and if that dosen't work I usually just get in front of a mirror with a tooth pick and push the food out and rinse again.

kjw1214

Waterpik

#6 Post by kjw1214 »

I use a waterpik, it is a machine that pressurizes water and shoots it out of a small tip. I just kinda of stick it at the top and bottom of the plastic and its really gross to see all the food the comes out. I got mine at Wal Mart, but depending where you are from you might have to go somewhere else, it was about 60 dollars (us). Hope that helps!