law that requires dentists to inform patients about risks??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

xyz2008

law that requires dentists to inform patients about risks??

#1 Post by xyz2008 »

Is there a federal or state law that requires the dentists/doctors to inform patients about possible risks involoved prior to the treatment?

jennielee81

#2 Post by jennielee81 »

I remember sigining a waver with my kid's treatment saying stuff like their face could change, they could lose a tooth, etc.

I probably signed this same thing for myself, but I don't remember.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

xyz2008

#3 Post by xyz2008 »

I never signed anything like that. If the orthodontist has disclosed all those possible risks to me, I would never have gone through the orthodontic treatment.

loulou123

#4 Post by loulou123 »

Im in the uk, so laws may be different, but i think they are suposed to tell you off any risks.

I had my pre op for my jaw surgery last week and had to sign a consent form of about a million risks and things that could go wrong! but they do this just to cover themselves, just in the rare case that something does go wrong.

I no when ive had things done at the dentists that ive had to have all the risks explained before having treatment.

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

http://adultwithbraces.blogspot.com/

4113n

#5 Post by 4113n »

there was a video on youtube about how she had trouble breathing and blamed it on braces, the girl also idiotically only realized it was the braces after few months in. well shes trying to warn people like it happens 1 in 2 people but its obviously 1 in a million thing.

and nope dident sign anything

lilblackdress

#6 Post by lilblackdress »

I don't know if it's required by US or individual state law but it is a good practice to make sure that patients understand the risks and possible complications that can arise from any sort of treatment. If a patient signs a form stating that they have a level of understanding of things that can go wrong, this puts the ortho's office in a better position to defend themselves in case they're sued by a patient.

I did have to sign a waiver that stated that I understand some of the risks and complications associated with having braces. The waiver also stated that there are things that patients can do to make their treatment as positive as possible, and if a patient is having problems, then they need to be brought to the ortho's attention ASAP, so that it can be addressed.

TumbleDryLow

#7 Post by TumbleDryLow »

I had a similar experience to lilblackdress. I had to sign papers outlining the possible things that could go wrong during and after treatment, and I had to sign an agreement that said if I didn't do what they told me to do it could increase my treatment time. I don't know if this was required by any law.

browneyedgrl

#8 Post by browneyedgrl »

I signed the same thing as far as complications and potential risks.
Started the journey for the second time on January 10th 2008~Ceramic uppers and metal lowers. Removed on June 2nd 2009.

[/url]

xyz2008

#9 Post by xyz2008 »

yes, I read the small print. All the small print were about finance stuff. It was at the 2nd ortho's office when I was required to sign the disclaimer that I realized the first ortho did not disclose any risks involved to me. I don't remember signing any document like that.

Miss Smiley

#10 Post by Miss Smiley »

That is odd because ANY doctor or dentist office has me sign a waiver for ANY treatment provided.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

mariahfromchicago

#11 Post by mariahfromchicago »

I don't know if my mom signed anything like that. Like a (then) 12 year old even pays attention to what my mom signs. :roll: :wink:
- mariah