Molar bands

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Twinjoy

Molar bands

#1 Post by Twinjoy »

I searched and searched for information on molar bands but didn't see anything that answered this particular question I have about them. I just got mine in 30 min or so ago and there are these things on the inside of my teeth that i feel with my tongue and they really hurt my tongue when i eat. Is this something I have to get used to? I was given wax but told to only use it if absolutely necessary because food and germs will build up in there with the wax. What else can be done to eat pain free?

Twinjoy

#2 Post by Twinjoy »

Thank you so much! I was so happy that I could finally use my back teeth since I haven't chewed on them the entire time I had the spacers, but then when my tongue kept snagging the cleats I thought I was in for a rough time! So I will try the wax and keep hydrated thanks for the advice!

markuhde

#3 Post by markuhde »

You get used to everything, you really do. It actually feels kinda nice. No wonder so many people I know actually miss their braces when they get them off... I know I will. They're fun :)

And I'm sure you're giving me the same crazy look I gave my best friend right before I got my braces on...

Kerry

#4 Post by Kerry »

i had mine ftted today and there rubbing my cheeks then the little rough bit on the opposit side it rubbing on my tounge when chewing lol least my teeth feel stronger tho with the spacers i couldnt chew at all
Imagewisdom teeth removed under GA nov07 * Braced 8/2/08 * 2 premolars removed Apr08 * Adjustment 4 rebonding, 4 molar bands & new wire 4/7/08 * 31Jul wire change * 28 Aug last wire fitted and lower powerchain put on. 29th May moulds and x rays. 31st July Surgery date :-)

markuhde

#5 Post by markuhde »

Spacers are awful that's for sure... if you're getting your bottoms on later, one good thing - bottom spacers are better than tops!

mg

#6 Post by mg »

Spacers are all that. Even soft foods, like a banana, are difficult to handle. Thanks for all the info. Say, how do you add the ticker to your posts??

breal87

#7 Post by breal87 »

i had a MAJOR problem with the molar band cleats cutting up the inside of my tounge. I have to say that it was the worst part of my treatment. The wax would never stay on them and it continued to cut my tounge up (only on the right side) I went to my next adjustment and the ortho shaved down the metal cleat and ever since then i have no cuts anymore!

Test

kjw1214

#8 Post by kjw1214 »

I have a nance, that is bonded to the bands on top, so I guess I dont have these things all of you speak of. I have a major problem biting down with the nance on my left side, my teeth dont close on the left... sweet. but i am only partially barced, and that may be what it is, all the pulling on the left, has left the right side all askewed.

p.s. you have to have a minimum of 25 post in order to get the ticker on the bottom! :) it might help you along to read the new members post in the new members forum :) i was lost before i read it :)
December 12, 2007- Paritally Braced, left canine back in all two brackets, nance and both bands.
Feb 4, 2008 First "adjustment" and first power chain!
March 26, 2008 Second adjustment, new power chain and wire and a full banding date. Seven weeks!
May 12 2008-----Full Banding Date!!!

Miss Smiley

#9 Post by Miss Smiley »

You know....I guess I can see why braces can be missed, because I constantly find myself playing with the cleats on my one molar band. They have been pushed in for comfort seeings that the ortho wouldn't need them as my other molars are bonded tubes. But the flattened cleats give me something to play with and rub my tongue over besides the backs of my front teeth.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

Twinjoy

#10 Post by Twinjoy »

The cleats are very annoying and getting worse every day. I have to wait till monday to call back to the orthodontist to see if the doc will clip them off for me. The parts on the outside I know I have to get used to so its not a big deal. The worst part about the cleats is I put the wax on but it always comes off when I eat so I have stopped using it. I finally have a brace date. March 7th!

markuhde

#11 Post by markuhde »

"The discomfort from cleats on molar bands is more than just pain - we're talking about an open wound in the mouth. If it is not necessary to continue to have the cleats, and if you're not adjusting to it, it is stupid to continue with the pain and the open wounds, since the latter factor means it poses some threat to your general health also."

I'll have to post a picture of my bands some time - if ya'll are talkin' what I think you're talking I don't see any way they could cause cuts - irritation sores if you're really sensitive maybe but sure not cuts - they're (on my bands) not and all sharp and bent inwards.

Tin Indian

#12 Post by Tin Indian »

I too have those cleats on 3 of my molars. They were very sharp especially when I would suck on a piece of candy and would roll it around in my mouth. The next ajustment the assistant told me those cleats help seat the band and can be used for elastics if needed on the inside but they also help the ortho when they remove the bands. They meerly bent the cleats over a little to keep the sharp points away from my tounge and I was good to go.
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08

bracieb

i hate hate hate those little things...

#13 Post by bracieb »

I have little tiny tubes to attach my lower appliance. For the couple of months before I got the appliance but had the molar bands on, it was awful. I used wax like there was no tomorrow, my tongue was cut up all the time and when I FINALLY got toughened up they put in the appliance. That was annoying but way better than the naked "razors" on the inside of my molar bands. They have been fine since, but I am nearly ready to have the appliance removed, and I am NOT looking forward to the pain again. I will definitely ask to have them bent or removed or something. I don;t want to go back to hamburger tongue, but I suppose I eventually did get used to them. My kids have them too, and they stopped complaining after a bit.

I got so I could reposition the wax using only my tongue- actually re-roll it up into a little ball and put it back on the offending thingie. Hope that isn't too gross! :lol:

OTOH, my teeth are nice and straight now and they look great!

Twinjoy

#14 Post by Twinjoy »

ok so new question about the offending cleats lol. I have been trying to use wax on them but either I don't know how to use the wax right or maybe its just cheap wax. The wax falls off while I am eating, drinking etc, I also have a terrible time getting it to stay on the appliance while I am putting it on to begin with. Anyone have tips or suggestions to make the wax stay in place? Once it is on it feels 100% better and I feel like I could eat a decent meal if I could just get the wax to stay put! Any advice would be awesome!

Tin Indian

#15 Post by Tin Indian »

You might want to try silicone wax or keep the cleats dry before you apply the wax.
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08