Frenectomy

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tiggrr2001

Frenectomy

#1 Post by tiggrr2001 »

I am posting about my frenectomy, as promised in a previous thread. I went to my consult on Tuesday with the perio and was honestly expecting a VERY long wait in between the consult and surgery date. When I spoke with the receptionist, I told her I was looking to get it over with ASAP since I was waiting to have my final wire. She mentioned they had an appointment available that Friday. I told her I would take it! I get through the consult and he says it is just a simple frenectomy. Meaning I don't need any grafting since my frenum is narrow and long. Apparently, if the frenum is wide, they may need to do grafting because it can leave a gap between the gums and teeth. He explained the procedure and since I opted for Nitrous, he says I can eat and drink like normal before the surgery and that I should eat soft food after to prevent the stitches from tearing. Friday morning comes along and I'm feeling a bit nervous, but also a bit relaxed (is that possible? =p). Dr. Johnson was very reassuring and I felt comfortable with him and his staff. It was well worth the wait for an appointment. I get to the office and he explains they will start the nitrous and then numb my gums up and begin the procedure. It took about 5 minutes for the nitrous to relax me and I'll admit I had never had it before and felt drunk lol. I was really relaxed and didn't even feel the novacaine at all. Before I knew it, he was stitching me up and they were finished. I was at the office for a total of an hour from start to finish. The worst part of the procedure is the burning sensation after the novacaine wore off and the tightness in your lip. It's really hard to smile and impossible to laugh since it feels like you might tear something. It is now Monday and I am back at work. Eating fairly normal foods and I work in a job that requires me to be on the phone all day long. All in all, I would say it's not so bad and would do it again if I had to. If you guys have any questions, please let me know! I will hopefully be getting my final wire next Monday evening =) :D

breda206

#2 Post by breda206 »

good for you :) I might have to get that done in the future. Nice to know it's not too bad of a procedure.

starryeyedfairy

#3 Post by starryeyedfairy »

woah
your procedure sounds like it went a million times more better than mine did.
my frenectomy was terrible.

i have a question if anyone can answer

is it possible for the frenulum to grow back? which would require another frenectomy

OR is it

when its chopped off, its chopped off for good?

Killaking

#4 Post by Killaking »

how much it cost?

starryeyedfairy

#5 Post by starryeyedfairy »

i've heard of tonsils growing back
but thanks for your two cents, its appreciated
i'll just have to cross my fingers for now :)

tiggrr2001

#6 Post by tiggrr2001 »

I was told it can grow back if not done correctly. The total cost out of pocket was $230. Part of it was covered by insurance. Without insurance, it would have been $550 since I had nitrous. Prices vary with provider, but my perio was recommended by my ortho.

Devushka

#7 Post by Devushka »

Thanks for giving us the details. It really helps calm my fears. But how thin is "thin"?

I don't know if mine is thick or thin. God...if I have to get grafts.....

Hope your healing process is going well!

tiggrr2001

#8 Post by tiggrr2001 »

I was trying to find pics of my mouth pre-braces and pre-surgery. The best I could come up with was these two:

and

I hope that helps. Those were from 2003.

Devushka

#9 Post by Devushka »

That is exactly the way mine is. That could very well be a picture of mine. I hope that means mine will be as simple as *snip, snip* and nothing else crazy.

Thanks for posting the pictures!