Allergic reaction to latex elastics or metal wire?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

OneGuy

Allergic reaction to latex elastics or metal wire?

#1 Post by OneGuy »

I'm new in posting here, but I've been reading many posts in this forum on and off. I've had braces on for almost 4 months now. One thing my orthodontist noticed is that after I wore elastic bands for 6 weeks, my gum turned very red and little bit swollen. He was alarm and removed the metal wire from the brackets and asked me to stop using elastics in my mouth for 10 days to see what happen. Interestingly, the redness seems to slowly fade away after 1 week without elastics and metal wire in my mouth. I don't know yet if I'm allergic to the latex or the metal wire (which is supposed to be stainless). I guess it's most likely the latex. The type of elastic band I used was the Impala Ormco Z-pak elastics (3/16" 6 oz strength) which may have caused redness in my gum. I wonder if any of you has experienced similar allergic reaction.

My orthodontist said that he would use latex free elastics on me next time. What kind of elastics do your orthodontists use on you? Are they latex free? What type or what brand of latex free elastics have you worn on your braces or heard of other people using or heard of people recommending? Any one minds to share? Thanks a lot.

Miss Smiley

#2 Post by Miss Smiley »

Hello! Oooh another allergian! I had swelling of the lips, headaches, swollen glands and a rash around my face once but it was only around my lowers and it may have been due to my choice of powerchains or that specific wire. My ortho changed out my ligs to clear and put a gold wire. That reaction seemed to go away after a couple days. Since then, I was given elastics which were latex, but after 2 months of another rash, swelling and funny bumps along the inside of my mouth only where the elastic was, he stopped my elastics treatment and is looking into non-latex just for me. I've had my regular Niti wires since but to no further reaction. Conclusion, I'm allergic to latex as I am allergic to many foods and tree nuts are part of it. If you're allergic to tree nuts and bananas, you may also be allergic to latex. My ortho said to get tested at an Allergist, but I don't want to go through a test when I am pretty sure it's an allergy. Again, I don't want to get tested for allergies when I've had severe food reactions and know they are allergies. I have a brother who is an MD and prescribed me a epinephrene pen for emergencies. You may want to get tested if you are unsure of what your allergies are.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

momof3

#3 Post by momof3 »

I am also allergic to latex. I get itchy and have a rash when I am exposed. Both orthodontists I have been to are latex free offices. I currently have gold braces on top. I am little worried about when I get my bottom braces. My new orthodontist doesn't offer gold braces. I know I have reactions to cheap earrings and other jewelry.
Is there latex in powerchains and ligs? I haven't had a reaction to my ligs so there may not be.

Miss Smiley

#4 Post by Miss Smiley »

I am nickel sensitive too but not allergic so my Niti wires are just fine with no irritations.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

cybersiren

#5 Post by cybersiren »

I actually had no idea that I was allergic to latex until I got braces for the second time. It must have been an acquired allergy. I had been wearing elastics for 6 months and suffering with nasty swollen crusty bloody lips with no relief. My ortho didn't even think it coud be the elastics because I had told him from the beginning I wasn't allergic. My dentist suggested I just take out the elastics for a couple days and all my symptoms were gone in less than 24 hours! I have been latex free ever since.

MGood

#6 Post by MGood »

I was so glad to find this thread. I usually post in the surgery forum because I had SARPE back in June. Ever since I started with the orthodontics, my lips have been incredibly swollen and so sore. I have asked the Ortho, the Oral Surgeon and a dermatologist and none have been any help. The Derm. said to use hydrocortisone ointment when it's really bothering me, but none of the others were any help at all. This helps relieve it only briefly. I have a blog and have asked on there but I haven't been able to find anyone with this problem. People keep telling me to use chap stick, but it's not that kind of problem and doesn't do any good. I have never been allergic to latex before that I know of, but I think I am going to see if the Ortho has latex free ligs. Just knowing that I am not the only one feeling like this is so reassuring. This has been the worst part of the whole experience. I can deal with the braces and even the surgery, it's the lips that are driving me crazy.

karylarizona

Allergic

#7 Post by karylarizona »

The first week I got braced, I developed huge red swollen leisions on the inside mouth. An emergency trip to the ortho and he thought it was a reaction to maybe the nickel. It was horrible. Just short of removing the braces, I tried some Benadryl and it was gone in a day. Hope you are doing better by now.