tmj treatment

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

trw2

tmj treatment

#1 Post by trw2 »

I am new here and in need of info about tmj treatment. I am wondering about others experiance with upper jaw surgery with pallatal expansion. and also has anyone just had braces without surgery to treat tmj

retainerjoe

#2 Post by retainerjoe »

i to have had tmj probs for years, i was told i would need surgeries along with braces from other doc's , i opted for a tmj guy i found that said he could fix me eather way , so i did not have surgery , it took a while longer with headgear ,elastics an expanders an other appliances , but im free of tmj probs now , an the braces were removed on 1/31/08 after 2121 of a long treatment but very happy with the outcome.
http://community.webshots.com/user/head ... =community this link also has my video of me getting my braces

Crymsyn

#3 Post by Crymsyn »

trw2- I have TMJD as well. I'm being braced today in an effort to help treat the problem and not just the symptoms. I've had chiropractic treatment as well as physical therapy. The PT is my favorite part, even though it can be quite painful sometimes. The massage on the overworked muscle groups helps a lot. Also, don't forget to a search for "tmj" topics already posted here, there are several informative threads.

iBorg

#4 Post by iBorg »

I suffered TMJ prior to braces and they were a main reason to be braced again. I have had a great reduction in TMJ problems while braced. I'm hopeful that after surgery what few problems I have will no longer be an issue.

I agree with Crymsyn's comment about treating the cause and not just the symptom (quick name the movie). I had one dentist that wanted to do that but I was warned it would be a reoccurring cycle.

Mike

Hint on the movie: "Let's do the tie warp again."
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Crymsyn

#5 Post by Crymsyn »

Rocky Horror Picture Show

:)

iBorg

#6 Post by iBorg »

You're right!

Great movie in the Theatre. Great Play if done well. Terrible movie on the TV.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

rmogen

#7 Post by rmogen »

I too have severe TMJ and am about to get braces as well to fix them. I will have to have headgear and elastics, but should avoid surgery, however it has not been ruled out, so weigh your options and look at the severity of it. I will have to wear braces for about 36 months or a little longer. Surgery might help to make it a little quicker, but I was told it could be as much as 48 months.

trw2

#8 Post by trw2 »

thanks for the replys. i am hoping to find a treatment option without surgery. I have had two orthos tell me i should have surgery first to widen my upper jaw then braces to correct my bite.I dont mind the idea of braces but realy dont want surgery.