Lisping

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

theroo

Lisping

#1 Post by theroo »

Will my lisping go away after a while? Or does it stay...?

lilblackdress

#2 Post by lilblackdress »

Lisping varies by person. Usually, your speech will improve and you won't lisp at all. Sometimes, your lisp will diminish and not be as pronounced.
It just depends. If it's a real concern, you can always practice when you're alone or seek speech therapy, but that may be a bit too extreme.

I never had a lisp before braces (to my knowledge). Since I've gotten braced, I have a slight lisp with certain words, but only if I'm not careful in my speech. It really hasn't been a problem, which is good since I do a good bit of talking on the phone with clients every day at work.

mgundevia

#3 Post by mgundevia »

Cheer up. I have heard after a while it gets much better to a point where you have little to no lisp.

I got my upper palette expander and I sound like daffy duck :) and I cant wait to get back to my normal speech patterns.

It will get better - just keep talking a lot with people you know.

iBorg

#4 Post by iBorg »

Lisping is indeed a very individual thing. I've lisped with and without my bite plate. Teaching for a living, its a bit of a concern. Here's what I've learned:
The more tired I am, the more I lisp.
Lesson Learned Sleep more
The more excited I am, the more I lisp.
Lesson Learned Calm down
The dryer my mouth, the more I lisp.
Lesson Learned Drink more...oh beer increases my lisp
The more wax I have in for something rubbing, the more I lisp.
Lesson Learned use salt water rinses to minimize chaffing damage
Singing loudly helps learn how to talk with all the debris in your mouth
Lesson Learned People stare at you when you're in your almost fifties shouting out Quiet Riot's Cum on Feel the Noize
Lisping is louder to yo than to those around you
Lesson Learned Don't Panic! (another book/movie trivia question)

Good luck, remember this is something you are doing for yourself. Enjoy it and have fun with it.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

tazzle

#5 Post by tazzle »

well I lisped when I got my upper plate in when I could not have a crown or bridge till my braces and surgery over ... I lisped for prob about a month but it did go.

[/url]

ImageImage

BrandonH

#6 Post by BrandonH »

I agree, the lisp is worse sounding to you than it is to others.

I've noticed that after 10 days of my RPE about the only thing I can't get out correctly is the letter "u."

Andantae

#7 Post by Andantae »

One of the most curious things I noticed about lisping was what iborg said that 'the more tired I am, the more I lisp'. That is so strange to me. I will not have lisped for weeks even months, then if I am really tired I will start lisping and have to really, really concentrate not to. I sometimes don't even realize that I am really tired until the lisping starts!
Braced 5-30-07 for 18-24 months
In-Ovation Uppers, Metal Lowers, TPA upper arch, Lower Lingual arch, no elastics.
100% Deep Bite, Crowding, Over Extrusion
BSSO & Genio surgery June 4th '08!

"Truth is a bully we all pretend to like." Gregory David Roberts -SHANTARAM

Kat

#8 Post by Kat »

I lisp sometimes. Sometimes because I'm a bit dry other times who knows why, usually if I'm talking fast. Can happen anytime or not... weird really.

skintz

#9 Post by skintz »

Am i odd cos i don't have a lisp now i've got braces? Does everyone lisp when they've got braces?!

Katt

#10 Post by Katt »

I mostly have a problem with my F's. S's aren't bad but I had speech therapy when I was a kid so I have always been very conscious about how I say them. But mostly the F is due to the large gap I have from an extraction. Other than that I'm pretty good.

Arvensis

#11 Post by Arvensis »

Most speech therapists won't come near you with a ten foot pole while you're in the middle of treatment as every adjustment hypothetically changes how your teeth are aligned and therefore your tongue placement, etc.

That said, I'm 6 months in to braces and had jaw surgery two months ago, so no idea if my experience is normal, but I'm pretty much lisp-free in English (or any problems with the lisp were created by surgery not braces), but in Russian my lisp is beyond problematic. I'm actually looking for a good speech therapist to help relearn certain sounds and combinations in Russian once I get the braces off :)
[8 Months, 4 days with Braces]
Braces off 4/17/2008 - Rockstar!

Before and After.

theroo

#12 Post by theroo »

awesome, thanks everyone for your replies! yeah the lisp does come and go, and i did notice too that if im wide awake i dont lisp as much... and sometimes if i talk for too long i start to lisp haha... i think cos of the saliva build up or something. anyway...

hopefully not a permanent problem! cheers!

purpleteeth

#13 Post by purpleteeth »

I talk for a living and being able to speak clearly has been a significant problem I have experienced since getting my braces on. My speech patterns change about every 2 weeks and it drives me crazy! I relay phone calls for the deaf and I hate it when people start complaining that they can't understand me. My friends also make comments when I can't talk right, but they understand and are supportive.

Anytime my teeth move, I start lisping. I am having TMJ/ TMD brace work done, so I know my jaw shape is constantly changing... and my tongue never knows where to go. It comes and goes and I just try my best to slow down and *over pronounciate* my words, making sure I get my lips up and over the brackets.

For me, it just comes and goes... even throughout the day. I have trouble getting my words out, I spit everywhere, and I pronounce words so funny that no one knows what i am saying :shock: LOL! It is all part of the game I guess.... :D

DireWire

#14 Post by DireWire »

iBorg wrote: Don't Panic! (another book/movie trivia question)

If 'Don't Panic' is a question, 42 is the answer !!

DireWire
Bite plate gone for good after @3 mths

iBorg

#15 Post by iBorg »

sounds like someone has been hitchhiking..... :lol:

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.