Not prepared for spacers to change my bite...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jenna28

Not prepared for spacers to change my bite...

#1 Post by Jenna28 »

I got spacers on Tuesday. Not so bad at first, but now I am ready for it to all be over! I was prepared for them to be uncomfortable (which they are), but what I was not prepared for was how much they would alter my bite. Everything was fine until I woke up yesterday morning, and when I closed my mouth, I only felt contact on two teeth, instead of all of my molars touching like they used to. I am totally new to this, so maybe my surprise stems from complete ignorance, but I was wondering if this is normal? I find this rather annoying, and it was not something I really thought about prior to deciding to get braces. I spent quite awhile contemplating the pain and appearance issues, but never gave a thought to the fact that a changing bite would be so annoyingly uncomfortable. I can't get my mind off my stupid teeh! Do you ever get used to this? Now I'm actually looking forward to getting my braces on Thursday, in the hopes that they will feel better than these spacers, which are truly hateful.

TumbleDryLow

#2 Post by TumbleDryLow »

Spacers changed my bite as well. It's something you just get used to. Braces will probably change your bite (many times over the course of treatment) as well. I know it's weird right now, but really, you just adapt and eventually forget about it. None of my molars have touched for the past 3 months--but I don't even notice anymore.

ohmyjaw

#3 Post by ohmyjaw »

Yes, tumbledry is right. Your bite is probably going to change a whole bunch of times. I had one whole month where only one upper and one lower incisor touched. That was terrible - it hurt, I couldn't chew, and I wanted to punch my ortho.

Spacers are definitely uncomfortable. It will feel better when they come out, but then of course you are getting braces and you'll have a whole bunch of new hardware to get used to. It takes a bit if patience. The first few days may be exasperating but it does get better.

Good luck!

jubba

#4 Post by jubba »

the spacers were the easy thing at least i could still eat

i have had my braces for 5 days now and i think my bite has changed as many times :D

at the moment i can't bite anything with my front teeth but i know this will only be temperary and in two years i will have wonderful teeth :D

KianaFran

#5 Post by KianaFran »

I had my spacers put in Monday last week and they were uncomfortable the first day and the next day they were just plain painful. Yesterday was the first day that I have been able to eat solid food because it hurts chew or bite down. I'm really looking forward to the braces now. :D

But I completely agree and understand. I wasn't informed at how much my bite would change either. I almost feel as though my teeth are loose in the front. I had four extractions and the teeth next to the spaces now feel loose to me. Or might be head playing tricks on me.

Anyway, just one more day and then I get some kind of metal spacer or something. Oh well, good luck.

We will all have beautiful smiles after the pain is over.

:D