Tomorrow`s the Big Day !!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mazdagirl

Tomorrow`s the Big Day !!!

#1 Post by mazdagirl »

Getting braced tomorrow, so nervous about everything at this point probably won`t be able to get any rest tonight.

Just a few questions:

**Does the glue taste that bad??
**What can I expect for pain during and after?
** Will I be able to sleep tomorrow night? ( I cant function without 8 hours)
** What kinda foods should I be buying for the next couple of day? Snacks are easy...but what can you eat for a meal ? Except soup?
***And last but lot least.....How many of you where getting cold feet the day before????

Thanks for everything , without this forum I swear I would have lost my marbles....hehehehe

Spanner

#2 Post by Spanner »

Hi hun,

**Does the glue taste that bad?? - mine didn't, never noticed any taste at all.**What can I expect for pain during and after? - i had no pain at all just a feeling of pressure. If you have pain though it shouldn't be so bad that taking a couple of painkillers won't cure it.** Will I be able to sleep tomorrow night? ( I cant function without 8 hours) - I slept ok no problems
** What kinda foods should I be buying for the next couple of day? Snacks are easy...but what can you eat for a meal ? Except soup? - there are loads of soft foods you can try. pasta in a sauce, rice dishes, mashed potatoe etc.
***And last but lot least.....How many of you where getting cold feet the day before???? - i was anxious but not cold feet as such...i think it's normal to feel a bit apprehensive about it

good luck

jenny101101

#3 Post by jenny101101 »

Hey Mazdagirl!

First of all, congrats on taking the plunge and getting braced! :-)o So, tomorrow's the big day? You must be excited/nervous!! :crazy:

I'll try to answer a few of your questions:
1. The glue you don't even taste but the stuff they put on your teeth before hand is a little bitter/vinegary. If you just keep your tongue out of the way, you won't really even taste it.
2. No pain during(at least, most ppl don't). Afterwards, you'll probably have pain but nothing that tylenol or advil won't cure. Just make sure you take it as soon as you can and after a few days, you'll be fine:)
3. I had no problems sleeping my first night. I took some advil before bed and even though it took a few minutes to get used to the metal on the inside of my cheek, I had a great night's sleep!! :-Z
4. I don't have a lot of suggestions but I like beans(in tomato base) and I had boiled hotdogs my first day. Of course, soup was(still is)popular. If I think of any others, I'll let you know.
5. I was excited right up to the moment I sat in the chair to get them on...then I thought "Should I get up right now and say forget it?"...but I didn't and I'm glad I didn't. I think it's normal to have some resevations but you'll be fine. I had a few days(especially day 2) where I wondered what the heck I had done, but that's normal and now I don't regret it at all!! I'm only on day 12 and it just gets better everyday! :jump:

What kind of braces are you getting? I'd love to keep up with your progress so if you have a journal, I'll check it out :computer: .

Good luck tomorrow!!
Keep smilin'! :)
Jenny

Braced for 18 months: Damon 3mx all around with Damon 3's on "social six". Now is Essix retainers for 10 hours/night.

mg

#4 Post by mg »

Jenny101101 and Spanner have great suggestions.

My 2 cents worth from from humble 3 week experience and LOTS of good advice from this site; I took an advil about an hour prior to my appointment and had lip balm in my hand the entire time and used it a lot!

I did miss some sleep the night before and wouldn't you know almost fell asleep in the chair when the brackets were going on! That was after the molar bands took a long time to fit and cement into place. So by the time the brackets were ready to be placed, I was tired and relieved at the same time as the procedure was almost complete!

As for foods; if you have a blender, that helps as smoothies are nutritious (add protein powder if you want to). I use bananas, frozen fruits without seeds and ice cream and milk. The coolness relieves some of the unpleasantness. For dinners, when everyone else is having veggies, try blending them with chicken stock and a bit of butter and salt, a sort of soup, if you will. Ground meats were my friend for the 1st 2 weeks, small bits of chicken I'm brave enough to experiement with this week.

Oh, expect to spend plenty of time in front of the mirror with your toothbrush, mouthwash, salt water rinses and wax (lots the 1st week).

Mazdagirl, you'll do just great! Keep us posted!

Feb 12 '08: Full Metal Upper & Lower
Mar 04 '08: TPA until crossbite is corrected
Feb 03 '09: TPA removed: out of crossbite!!
Feb 12 '10: Sentence 24 months give or take
Sep 21 '09: BRACES REMOVED!!

mazdagirl

Thanks again!!

#5 Post by mazdagirl »

I am getting metal braces top and bottom, my Ortho only offers the old fashioned ones. ( No Damons). i will probably wearing elastics tomorrow or at my next visit after. I just don`t want the jaw surgery and he said there is a 90 % chance he can fix it without, just depends on how the treatment goes. I have a cross bite.

So it doesn`t sound so bad, I should make it, Can`t be any worse than having 2 kids?...right?

:roll:

I am excited about the tomorrow! I wonder what color I should chose for the ligs?? I looked at some of the colors on this site , I just don`t wanna go to wild to start off with and then freak! :shock: [/img]

breal87

#6 Post by breal87 »

hey hey! The only part i found annoying was holding my mouth open so they could get all the glue off, my mouth gets real tired. It is really cool how the braces come off they literally slide off your teeth its so weird.

Your teeth will feel really slimey and next time you eat it will feel so good because you are not getting particles stuck in them! yay! :mrgreen:

Test

mazdagirl

#7 Post by mazdagirl »

Sorry to say I am just starting my journey with braces tomorrow, they will be on for at least 3 years.

Just wondering about the salt water rinsing I am reading about on here, is it just table salt with warm water? Once a day??

mg

#8 Post by mg »

Yes, ordinary table salt w/ warm water, however often you wish. I started w/ twice per day as I noticed a profound reduction in pain. Then just once a day and now every other day or so more as a precautionary measure especially during this cold & flu season with all this new hardware where bacteria can hide easily.

Great luck to you!

Feb 12 '08: Full Metal Upper & Lower
Mar 04 '08: TPA until crossbite is corrected
Feb 03 '09: TPA removed: out of crossbite!!
Feb 12 '10: Sentence 24 months give or take
Sep 21 '09: BRACES REMOVED!!

adilap

#9 Post by adilap »

Hi Mazdagirl,

I get my braces too tomorrow. I am so nervous but at the same time so excited. I am so glad we can do this together. My appt. is Tomorrow morning at 9am. :D

tazzle

#10 Post by tazzle »

quite a few of us starting out at the mo ..........I get mine on the 11th

I must admit I think I might take along my mp3 player if the ortho is not in a talkative mood ........ he seems a really friendly bloke and may natter away , I dont know LOL.

otherwise I try at dentists to just close my eyes and think of something soothing and keep breathing steady if its a "quiet worker" at work on my mouth :wink:

good vibes for tomorrow ........ hope all goes well !

[/url]

ImageImage

breal87

#11 Post by breal87 »

ahh brain fart! I read your post wrong, so sorry!!! :roll:

Test

lionfish

#12 Post by lionfish »

**Does the glue taste that bad??

Yes, it tastes foul.

**What can I expect for pain during and after?

If you're like me, nothing. You may feel some tension from the wire, however, particular if you drink cold stuff. Keep painkillers handy in case.

** Will I be able to sleep tomorrow night? ( I cant function without 8 hours)

Should do. I slept like the dead.

** What kinda foods should I be buying for the next couple of day?

See all the good advice above. I found pasta was my friend in the first few days, but started chewing early on because I'd been invited out to dinner and had no choice. Not a bad thing either.

***And last but lot least.....How many of you where getting cold feet the day before????

Ha ha, I dreamt of chickening out for 7 weeks leading up to the big day. I was a complete nuisance, rang up the office a few times asking about how much "interference" I was going to have (did upper linguals, was particularly concerned about speech, as it turned out needn't have worried), etc. etc. Of course, once everything got going I relaxed completely. As you will do once you're up and running.

mazdagirl

I have them on!!!

#13 Post by mazdagirl »

So went in this morning at 9 30 am and got both top and bottom put on, wow it feels weird.

I am surprised at how rough they are and how much their catching inside my cheeks. There is pressure but not any pain yet. It feels funny when I bite down like it not my mouth! Is that weird?

Another thing that bothers me is the fact that I can wear a mouth guard anymore at night. That Sleepright I was gonna get would not be good for me as I am missing some back teeth on one side. Any kinda guard the dentist can make while im wearing braces?

So im back to work for the rest of the day and hopefully tonight will be ok......Eating is soo strange too , how am I gonna get use to this?

adilap

#14 Post by adilap »

It's done. I just got my braces. I feel okay so far but Im so hungry. What should I eat? I am excited about my journey but scared a little. They feel so funny. :D

mazdagirl

#15 Post by mazdagirl »

Congrat adilap on your braces, mine are just on too and im feeling pretty weird!