Got upper and lower braces on Thursday and cannot eat a thin

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

AoiElf

Got upper and lower braces on Thursday and cannot eat a thin

#1 Post by AoiElf »

I just got both upper and lower braces on yesterday. I have ceramic brackets on top and metal on bottom, and a stupid bite plate on top. My bottom teeth really don't bother me except when I close and the bottom teeth that hit the bite plate then cause me great pain, but my top teeth have been extremely painful no matter what, especially the two teeth on either side of my front teeth that overlap. I've been popping pain pills since I had them mounted but I actually had to go home sick today from work because of the pain. My job requires a lot of verbal communication and I just couldn't imagine sitting there for 8+ hours today with this pain. Eating is a whole other subject. Am I just destined to eat moosh the next few weeks? I already weigh very little and this moosh diet is going to knock off a coupe of more needed pounds.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to relieve any of the pain?

Beckster

#2 Post by Beckster »

First of all, the first few days are the worst. In time you'll find that you'll be able to eat almost anything in no time :)

Also, is your bite plate removable, or fixed? I have not had one myself, but several members on the board have, and can probably help you out with how to get used to eating with it.

I too am rather small, and have to make sure that I do not lose too much weight. During this most recent braces journey a few foods I found helpful were pudding, frozen green beans(get rather soft when cooked), bananas, mac and cheese, ice cream, canned fruit, sorbet, just to name a few. I also found that smoothies were really good for lunches. I also made sure to drink juices. I strategically made sure to eat things that had nutritional value, and so that I would not lose weight.

In terms of pain relief, I find that Naproxen(Aleve, etc), and Advil Liquid-gels work rather well. Also, chewing, as it helps stimulate blood flow, thereby relieving pain. My most recent trick was to take a wash cloth, wet it with cold water and chew on it off and on for a good 1/2 hour or so. (Note: In terms of the chewing part, anyone who has a bite plate, who may know if this is a good idea, or not, feel free to correct...)

Anyways, good luck and feel free to send me a message if you have any more questions. Good luck with everything!

~Becky
"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."-Albert Camus

tazzle

#3 Post by tazzle »

whilst we empathise with the sensations and difficulties ............ like Meryaten said "It's up to you whether or not you lose weight."

even if its mush / liquidised its WHAT you have calorie wise thats important ... you can blend up chocolate and cream :shock: :shock: :shock: and most the usual foods you eat so you need not losse weight if you dont want to :wink:

Now ME on the other hand , I DO need to loose weight before surgery so will be using the intial discomfort period to give that process a little boost by choosing what I blend up very carefully !!!

I mean that in that I dont think french bread or chips will really be that great blended..... whereas a nice veg soup ( with chunks to make me chew a bit ...... will be great !!!!

BUT I MUST now clear that mental picture of whizzed up chocolate and cream from MY mind :D :lol: :D :lol:

[/url]

ImageImage

loulou123

#4 Post by loulou123 »

It will get better, the 1st few days are the roughest. :D

I have to agree with meryaten and tazzle tho, you dont need to lose weight, ive not been allowed to chew for the past month after surgery, and apart from the 1st few days of being in hosp havent lost any weight at all :D as you can mush down pretty much anything :?

good luck

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

http://adultwithbraces.blogspot.com/

mary.

It'll get better!

#5 Post by mary. »

I found the first week or two the worst, the toughest part being to be able to eat properly. Don't worry though, it'll get much better and you'll be eating most things that you were used to in no time (you'll just have to cut your food into small pieces).

For now though, here are a few ideas that worked well for me:
- smoothies -mmmm I love them to begin with - add one cut up banana, a handful of frozen fruit (strawberries is my fave), a half cup of milk or soy milk (or yogurt) and whirl in a blender.
- For a little treat, try one half vanilla ice cream and one half orange juice and whirl in a blender - tastes like a creamsicle, yum.
- have a look on the internet for some pureed soups, another word for them is bisques. I love them too to begin with. My faves are roasted red pepper, and sweet potato and pear. They are very healthy too. There are many other options as well - some with potato, or lentils, etc. Check out other soups as well - there are so many cool options that you'll have difficulty deciding. I would just google soup recipes and some of your favorite ingredients.
- soft foods can include scrambled eggs or omlettes. Pancakes are good too - try pureeing some cooked sweet potato and add a half cup to your pancake mix. Delicious, and healthy.
- Sheppard's pie worked well for me too. I bought a frozen variety.
- pastas are good too. Scalloped potatoes as well.
- and last but not least - some treats - ice cream and cheesecakes were easy to eat : )
- Initially, I also tried to have a carnation instant breakfast drink to start the day and give me a bit of energy. I also planned a good amount of time to eat as it took me much longer : )

Good luck with everything. And, huge congratulations to you!

Jex

#6 Post by Jex »

mashed potatoes and gravy!!!!! That will definitely help keep your nutrition and weight up, plus it doesn't need to be chewed and can be made in an instant. I'm making black bean soup for myself today. I think for me it's less about pain and more about, "oh, is this food REALLY worth the effort it's going to take to chew it????" :wink:

Tops went on March 4, 2008
Lowers go on May 30, 2008
Bracket Mullet---metal on the bottom (business), Ice (party) on the top!