Chewing with Molar Bands

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Poobah

Chewing with Molar Bands

#1 Post by Poobah »

Hello,
My apologies in advance if this question was asked in the past -- but I couldn't find it.

I had braces put on just a few days ago, and I have four molar bands (two upper, two lower). The problem is that I am finding it almost impossible to chew, because my top molars hit the metal on the bottom molar bands. It makes it so the rest of my teeth do not meet, and so I cannot chew well.

I am concerned that this is not how it is supposed to work. I tried to explain it to the assistant who put on my braces, but she said that it was probably just getting used to braces and that everything would be fine. I can't imagine how anyone could get used to this. Does anyone else have experience with this?

Thanks in advance...

Poobah

#2 Post by Poobah »

Meryaten wrote:Or is it that your two dental arches are different widths and what is happening is that the teeth are actually hitting the tube (the part the archwire is threaded through) that's attached to the band?
I think this describes what is happening, sort of. My top molars are coming down on the sides of the molar band (the tube/hook thingy). The molar bands don't seem to be above the surface of the tooth, but not much below the surface, just barely below it. The bands cover the sides of my teeth entirely. Does that sound right?

cosmicgirl

#3 Post by cosmicgirl »

Hello Poobah!
Welcome to our club!
All I'm going to say is chewing WILL be difficult just now, whether it's teeth clunking into molar bands; teeth not meeting; sensitive teeth; wobbly teeth etc etc.
But within a few days you'll be back to normal - or at least nearly!
You'll be surprised how quickly your teeth start to move and that will cause some changes in your chewing habits. I had a helix fitted two months ago and can now chew on the right side of my mouth - for the first time ever!
So hang on in there - if the bands sit just below the tooth's biting surface then that's exactly where they should be. As Meryaten says, if it's bothering you then your ortho can certainly reassure you and make adjustments if necessary.
Keep us posted!

kittymeow84

#4 Post by kittymeow84 »

Do you have a deep bite or is your molar class relationship (malocclusion?) off a bit?

Only asking cos I had the same too - the sticky-out bits on my molar bands would bump together while chewing. And often catch a bit of cheek between them! Ouch!

Seems 6 weeks on they don't do that any more so either my teeth have moved or I just don't notice any more.

If it hasn't stopped bothering you in a week or so then definitely call the ortho about it :D But you're still getting used to the braces so I would give it some time first!
Clickies on the "WWW" to see my braces story :)

Gennel

#5 Post by Gennel »

I only have molar bands on my bottom molars but for the first few months this is what would happen: When I would try and bite down the top molar would hit the buccal hook of my bottom molar so I was not able to chew and my bite was really open.The only way I can describe it was like if I had tap shoes in my mouth! They tried removing the band and pushing it more down but this did not help and I ended up having to deal with it until my banded molars finally moved upright...

Jex

#6 Post by Jex »

I had that, too, and asked him to take a look at it. He buffed something down or whatever, to where my molars actually touch each other every once in a while! :)

Tops went on March 4, 2008
Lowers go on May 30, 2008
Bracket Mullet---metal on the bottom (business), Ice (party) on the top!